Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Walk London

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 12 December 2011 | Views [447]

We hit the pavements past St James Paddington then through Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park to Marble Arch (complete with giant horse head and brightly coloured resin people) and Speakers’ Corner before we went ‘up the guts’ past Winter Wonderland and through the ‘gauntlet’  with scary squirrels – a few tried to run up Bray’s leg and even Roni was a tad afraid they would leap on her face, Hyde Park Corner then exploring around Wellington Monument, Wellington Arch, New Zealand Memorial and the Australian War Memorial.

Brayden’s theory is that Hyde Park squirrels are like the Mongrel Mob...leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone. We are guilty of always making clicking sounds at them and trying to communicate – mistake!

On our merry way through the Memorial Gates – never knew SO many VC’s awarded to fighters from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh & Sri Lanka, down Constitution Hill to Buckingham Palace.

We gazed at it from the Forecourt with the hordes and took many photos, admired the Queen Victoria Memorial out the front – especially the giant lions with accompanying working man and woman gifted from New Zealand...who knew? Bray posed for photos with the seductive merman on the fountain for good measure – flashbacks of Zoolander anyone? No changing of the guard today but we eventually saw the changing of the Horse Guard on Whitehall so felt quite satisfied!

Off down The Mall for a little after this to look at St James’s  Palace before the water, birds, squirrels and sunshine drew us across the road to St James’s Park. Our first views of the London Eye and Big Ben from this great location – much excitement. The abundance of squirrels and some early blossom kept our progress through St James’s Park relatively slow but the sun was shining and we had snacks so all was well in the world. On our journey we passed more memorials (Artillery, National Police, Duke of York, Royal Naval Division, Guards...), Admiralty Arch and many statues (James Cook, Viscout Wolseley, Lord Mountbatten, Kitchener and Earl Roberts) before arriving on Horse Guards Parade. From there we passed through to Whitehall (saw the Horse Guards changing – woohoo!) and made our way to the Thames.

Past more imposing government buildings (guarded by statues of voluptuous but tough looking ladies) and out into the sun across the river from the London Eye. More pics...then we stumbled upon the Battle of Britain memorial  - both of us moved and impressed by the sculpting and design of it! Our next mission was to find a public restroom – no easy task! Success near Westminster Bridge where Roni loitered by the random Boadicea memorial before we walked across the bridge then back toward Big Ben as the temperature began to drop. Many photos of the Houses of Parliament (multiple statues of famous men around them – Churchill, Richard Lionheart etc)  and the big guy himself (Ben) before we wandered around to the Victoria Tower Gardens (infested with puppy photo shoots and politicians being interviewed for television – weird combo!). Here we were pleasantly surprised with a statue of a WOMAN – yay for the ladies – and one who fought for the vote no less...go Emmeline Pankhurst! The next surprise was The Burghers of Calais sculpture...we both knew the backstory for this piece and its place in both English and French history due to the book we bought in Hamburg and have been reading, classic.

We saw sculptures in the Abingdon Street Gardens too – along with posted versions of the newly enacted laws that mean the camping out protesters (Occupy London Stock Exchange) could be removed/challenged...interesting. Touched the Jewel Tower then had to climb a fence (admittedly a wee one) to get out as the people obviously missed our entrance then locked up once we were inside – oops.  Past Poet’s Corner and George V to Westminster Abbey and St Margaret’s church next...then across the road to The Supreme Court. About now it was getting darker, we were fading and Roni showed signs of having ‘had enough’ so we began to head in the direction of home.

Along Great George street past more imposing buildings and back through St James’s Park – finally saw the pelicans!

We found the Canada Memorial in the dark, marvelled at ‘cross now’ traffic lights of people on horses – used to the green man and cyclists but this is a whole other level! Then passed through Wellington’s Arch all lit up and past the noise, smells and bright lights of Winter Wonderland through Hyde Park. Keeping a sharp eye out for foxes (no sightings yet) as well possible in the dark! Our strength was flagging so we consumed our last mandarins and pushed on through Paddington towards home.

Time for kai so we purchased some spicy chicken wings and chips from one of our local fried chicken places (Sam’s they are awesome...really helpful and polite to everyone and their wings are well tasty) before getting home to put our feet up and consume kai before a rest then bedtime.

SO much history and ‘sights’ got a little overwhelming at times today – we kept getting off our planned course by all the things to see! Around every corner is another old thing that looks imposing or something from a book or movie – it’s crazy but cool.

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.