Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

More London exploration...

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 13 December 2011 | Views [423]

Another blue sky day in London where we headed out to explore...we found the house  (on our street no less) where Edward Ardizzone lived between 1920 and 1972. He illustrated the Tim and the Sea Captain books that take Roni straight back to childhood. Past many Christmas tree shops until we found Abbey Road – here we took multiple photos (as the hordes gathered) and crossed the road (without taking pics on the crossing!). We sighted a graf fox on the other side of the road – I had seen its pink cousin on my jog earlier in the week!

 Onwards to Lord’s Cricket Ground (opposite the synagogue) and St John’s Wood Church and Grounds where we appreciated their flowers, statues and Keep off the Grass signs before moving on through The Regent’s Park. We looked hard but couldn’t find any tawny owls...though we did see herons, various ducks and all sorts of interesting people. Unfortunately the kid’s playground was only for adults accompanying kids so this had to be broken to Bray before he got too excited about the adventures to be had there.

Past the mosque and onto Baker Street...221b The Sherlock Holmes Museum...awesome! Then to Madame Tussaud’s where we decided the entrance price was ludicrous so we carried on to grab a sandwich and eat it somewhere warm.

Shoes were starting to be painful and the rain began to fall so we scampered off in the direction of our place. Fortunately the rain eased off and on the way we happened upon Little Venice (cute in the dusky light) and the BBC Maida Vale studios, on past Warwick Avenue (photos and some singing) to our place where we rested our feet briefly and had a cuppa to warm up.

On the walk to Shepherd’s Bush in the dark we passed football stadiums, a friendly cat or two and many well lit Christmas housed and trees later we made it to our rendezvous spot with only a few sprinkles of rain on us.  Today Rawiri turned 30 and Laura had organised a surprise gathering at Hell Pizza in Shepherd’s Bush – a taste of home for the old man. He had organised a surprise of his own for her too...he proposed when she got home from work!! He had recorded a song for her and of course she said YES. So when we met them there were two things for us to celebrate! We managed to find some cake and candles on our walk to get there so the birthday was celebrated in style – with all you can eat pizza so everyone was happy! A great night had by all – the new fiancées and birthday boy (one and the same) especially.

Afterwards we caught the tube home because our tummies were too full to walk and the rain had started to fall properly.

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.