Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Edinburgh rocks.

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 19 November 2011 | Views [407]

A relaxing start with delicious breakfast at our accommodation – Roni had some porridge while Bray settled for the continental. Sun shining, very little wind and simply a beautiful Edinburgh day!

We had a complimentary map from the hostel so followed it (and our noses) toward town. So many statues of famous Scots along the way – James Young Simpson, Frederick Duke of York & Albany, Adam Black and many others. Heading through the park we made our way up Castle Hill past St Margaret’s Well and through piles of leaves, using the off-road version of the track of course! Looking up at the castle on the way up it loomed larger and larger – very cool.

The cost put us off actually going inside the castle so we made the most of view, took many pics and looked over at the castle before walking around all the war monuments in the plaza then heading into the kilt factory. Another chance to see how some more quintessentially Scottish things are produced. Great fun to see all the different kilt patterns and a whole heap of Hay goodness!! (Roni’s Mum’s family name) All the weaving machines clacking away and plenty of interesting historical stuff too, it was pretty warm in there though and we got a little light headed and had to get back into the fresh air. Back down through the park we went to the Scottish National Gallery – free! We walked through all exhibition areas - Flemish, Scottish, Italian and more! Saw a couple of paintings in particular with great light.

Once outside we appreciated their squirrels frolicking around as the Christmas market was being set up then made our way to Scott Monument which was surrounded incongruously by carnival rides – helter skelter, ferris wheel and merry go round! After numerous photos trying to fit the whole thing in with eventual success we moved up the road. Wellington statue was our next stop outside the General Register House where a man was busking with his cute and very friendly black lab who thanked Roni with profuse licks for her contribution. We continued up the road and across The Regent’s Bridge to Old Carlton Cemetary before looking at St Andrews House on Waterloo Place.

We went up Calton Hill in time to see the 1 o’clock ball drop on Nelson’s Monument (though Roni missed with the video – oops!), observed the Observatory, Playfair Monument and Dugald Stewart Monument before clambering up the National Monument and taking many pics. The view was awesome with blue sky, minimal to no clouds and the sun still shining! We then walked down near Parliament Cairn toward Holyrood Houseand Arthur’s Seat before Bray rode the Portugese Cannon on our way down the hill. Getting hungry by now so we headed up the Royal Mile toward St Giles and Parliament Square(more photos) where we grabbed some kai before walking toward the National Museum of Scotland (also free...how we love Edinburgh!).

That place is AWESOME. Architecture is interesting, great interactive areas and some fascinating and well planned exhibits. A couple of favourites were Sir Jackie Stewart’s F1 car, stories of Scotland past/present/future, more Stevenson lighthouses for Roni, performance masks and costumes from all over the world, the Beetling engine and Newcomen Atmospheric engine (both still functioning), animal displays (including a kakapo) and the Scottish sports hall of fame.

We left when we had to (it was closing) and wandered back through town taking pictures of all the lights – the castle looked AWESOME. Hunger eventually drove us into the Haymarket pub to share a pub dinner and a few drinks before heading home to rest after a busy day!

Edinburgh rocks.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.