Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Active day - yay!

GERMANY | Thursday, 27 October 2011 | Views [421]

Today was a sunny and beautiful Hamburg day. Roni awoke early for a skype with her Mum – awesome to catch up as she and Grandma have just had time in Australia plus all the usual home news to hear about. Bray eventually rose and breakfast was consumed before getting Simon & Maren’s bikes out and pumping up the tires (this part took a lot longer than expected as Simon’s bike and pump are just a wee bit flasher than we are used to!). During the process a few red squirrels were very inquisitive and came up to within less than half a metre of us quite a few times– so cute!!

Eventually we hit the road and rode the perimeter of the Alster lake...with many stops along the way to admire (photograph!) some MASSIVE houses, striking autumn colours, sculptures, lake views and general prettiness. It was a lovely ride and quite warm in the sun – though chilly out of it!

On our return home we found our appetites and consumed the leftover burger buns with tasty fillings for lunch before heading back into the fleuro lit-bad air-disorientation of the ‘Hamburg Mile’ to grab cheap winter shoes for Roni and gloves for Bray. This was meant to be a definite quick dash in and out as we had scoped out some likely shoes at the German version of No1 Shoes while in the south of Germany that were a good fit to what we were after.

Of course this store no longer had them. Argh! Roni hates shopping. We persevered and got some warm shoes for Roni along with funky winter gloves for Bray and some socks and other essentials. Home again after this to continue the photo DVD mission, catch up on some journals and tidy our gear before going to play volleyball with Simi.

We were both uber stoked to have the chance to play sport! Something we have been sorely missing on the world trip so far.  Unfortunately Maren had to work late until around 9pm so it was only us three. The people Simon plays with are a combo of ex-pro’s, casual players and students who got into it through a friend. It was a lot of fun!

Afterwards it was around 10pm and all three of us were ravenous so stopped for a donor box on the way home – these are a fantastic invention and Bray is going to try and convince all the Turkish kebab shops back in NZ to join the donor box family!

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.