Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

The joy of Ribs

NETHERLANDS | Tuesday, 27 September 2011 | Views [449]

An earlier start today as we all piled into the car to take Dino to school. We got to see his classroom, teacher and classmates before heading home. It was relaxing time then as we had a late breakfast, watched a DVD and eventually got ready before heading out to Willemstad where Jeanine lived until she was 10. On the way we searched for two forts – Fort De Hel and Fort Sabina. After a number of picturesque detours we eventually found De Hel only to be told they were working on it so we couldn’t go in. Fort Sabina was open though so we had a good look around, climbed their hill, played on the playground and Jeanine taught us how to whistle with acorn tops.

Then on to Willemstad - we visited her old school (first time she had been back!) and had a good look around the town centre. Even bumped into some friends who have known her forever and invited us back for a coffee later on! Looked at the oldest Dutch Reformed church in the country (where Jeanine was baptised) and the town hall among other things. A happy hour or so was spent clambering around on the bunkers that run along the outskirts of the town from as early as 1884. SO cool – we could have spent the whole day exploring their cavernous interiors and all the different bits. Had an ice cream from a stand on the dyke where Jeanine’s Mum used to buy her one before heading back to the car.

We visited with Tante Marion and Hank for a delicious coffee and were introduced to stroopwafel...YUM.  After good chat and relaxing in their sunny garden we headed for home. Via a bar/restaurant where Jeanine used to work – they do the BEST ribs and she wanted to share the joy. Got it takeaway and then home to FEAST. Those ribs were HUGE. Roni was speechless (and couldn’t finish) while Bray was overjoyed! The salad and chips they came with were also very tasty. We all lay around feeling bloated for some time afterwards, reading, researching options for the Amsterdam trip and watching TV until bed time (first night before 1am!).

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.