Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Beyond Borders

FRANCE | Thursday, 1 September 2011 | Views [425]

This morning Roni was up with the birds and pottered around in the welcome coolness of the morning (SUCH a change not to be sweating from the get go!) until Bray emerged. On the road again relatively quickly and heading North to France. Pretty straightforward driving this morning which both of us were grateful for! The countryside changed as we headed inland – loads of cute villages with churches, monasteries and castles on hills...we are SO not in NZ now!

Crossing the border was a non-event for us...we were all ready to show passports etc but all that happened was we had to drive slowly through all the people shopping at the border stores. Suddenly we were in France – blows the mind!

Driving, driving, driving until we arrived in Carcassone. Exciting! It’s like the game only WAY more massive. Found a free park, Roni got changed as it was actually chilly and long pants were required for the first time all trip!

We explored to our hearts content, took lots of pics and generally lived the Carcassone experience – all except for the chateau et ramparts (castle inside and the ramparts) as that section cost 8.50 each... The rest was awesome though! Even saw a cat stalking the pigeons at the entrance which made us giggle.

Back to the car then on the road again...ready for lunch but thought we would hang on until a small village in which to eat. Found that location in Puicheric by a fountain under some trees J

Onwards again into the increasing heat to Nimes (via a few frustrations/alternative routes with the GPS where it took us to blockaded roads and during which Roni had to go for  a walk to cool off and search unsuccessfully for a bathroom). Eventually we made it into the city.

Nimes has some NARROW streets! Wowsers. Roni’s heart in her mouth many times as the GPS led us a merry dance to find the info centre...unsuccessfully. We eventually passed the Placedes Arenes so found a parking spot near the square du 11 November 1918. We looked at its awesomeness (and the HORDES – eventually finding out they were there for a WWE event...nuts!) then Roni used her amateur French to try and find the info site. Two Frenchmen at an ATM (NO English) later and we were headed in the right direction down Boulevard Victor Hugo. Wanting to double check after a while Roni spoke to a pharmacist (a teeny bit of English) who showed her a campsite on the map and wrote down the name and address of it before pointing us toward the info site though he thought it would be shut – now after 6pm...

We got to the Carre d’Art-Musee d’Art Contemporain and across the road was La Maison Caree with street performers, open air dining, stalls, hordes and...the OPEN info site!! Yay! Roni spoke with a helpful man who gave us maps, leaflets, information and the correct pronunciation of Nimes (had been bugging Roni something chronic).

Back to the car we headed – via a few side alleys to see more sights and hear more music. On the road again heading to Domaine de la bastide (the campsite)...which we found just in time to register and pitch the tent before the light went!

A cute tabby cat found us and we loved it up before eating by headlamp and retiring to the tent with coffee to check out our photos from the last few days.

An exhausting but definitely rewarding day!

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.