Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

An EPIC day

SPAIN | Friday, 2 September 2011 | Views [429]

A light rain awoke us this morning – first rain in Europe J It was really only a sprinkling and the blue sky was winning all the time! Roni got up early and once clean caught up on our journals. Bray got up and struck the tent before we had brekkie and hit the road. Pont du Gard was our goal today – until we found out there were toll roads between us and it PLUS it costs.... L Instead we set our sights on L'abbaye de Saint-Roman.

This place was WELL worth the drive and entrance fee! There are three hills that look down onto the Rhone area and they were the home of hermits and ascetics before going through various incarnations as an abbey and then a castle. Everything constructed here was cut out of the stone by hand (with a few rock and mortar support here and there) and the work to create it is impressive. We explored the main hill thoroughly though time constraints kept us from ascending the neighbouring hills to look at the older hermit dwellings.

On the road again after 12 noon with a quick stop at a supermarket for a couple of supplies. Then driving...and driving! We were headed for Barcelona and with a couple of GPS overheating moments en route we made it to the city outskirts around 8pm.

The first campsite we tried was UBER expensive and so on we drove...to another one about 11k away...equally expensive. Kept driving searching for wi-fi in order to check out other options until Roni could drive no more. We returned to Camp Masnou and resigned ourselves to paying the exorbitant rates – ouch.

Cats rule this particular camp – kittens and cats everywhere (reminds us of your old neighbour Anna!). Bray took pity on a wiped Roni and put up the tent while she made dinner. TWO sandwiches each tonight – oh the extravagance!!

A quick peek at pics from the day then time for sleep.

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.