Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Europe...we have arrived!

SPAIN | Tuesday, 30 August 2011 | Views [389]

Flying from Thailand to England was ok – both got a wee bit of sleep after watching Kung Fu Panda 2 and Rio to help us get tired. Managed to see a smidgen of the beautiful sunrise through others windows too – we were in the central chunk of seating this time.

Arrived in London then loitered for a couple of hours before boarding a bus to take us to our Barcelona flight. A short flight with sunshine, views of the Channel and French countryside plus the Pyrenees (we had a window this time – yay!). Touchdown in Barcelona around midday and called the car rental place after retrieving our luggage.

It was HOT! Sunny and not so muggy though – great! The difference between 75 and 95% humidity is marked.

They picked us up before whirlwind drive/sign/show/go with our brand new Peugeot 308. First to fill up with gas, hurdle 1 navigated. Roni was uber tired, hot, hadn’t driven for 2 months and still trying to get her head around the ‘edges’ of the car so the next wee while was stressful...

Eventually found our accommodation...but nowhere to drive in/park so Roni pulled over and Bray ran into check. Meanwhile the local gendarmes pulled up alongside and told Roni off – letting her off with an ‘extremely sorry, just arrived, never again...’ speech J

She drove laps of the block until Bray returned and we parallel parked (love it) into a teeny space. Lugged our bags up to our room then cooled off in A/C for a sec. Then to the next important task – food! We found a supermarket nearby and stocked up, had a bite to eat at home then set out to explore.

We went left first...it was early evening by this time and everyone (and their dog!) was out walking the street. So many cute elderly peeps sitting on benches, chatting and just watching the world go by. Very impressed by the bice? scheme we are too! To the left was mainly more of the same – buildings, roads, people, etc – but interesting nonetheless.

To the right...we hit the JACKPOT. Unwittingly we wandered into monument central! All in that evening light that makes everything even more beautiful too – stoked.

We saw the Font Magica, Caixa Forum, Museu National d’Art de Catalunya, Fira de Barcelona, and Pavelio Mies van der Rohe...to name a few. Blew us away! We were going to stay until the lights/music show of the Font Magica at 9pm but double checked the sign and it is only later in the week... L We will return! J It was probably fortunate in hindsight as Roni was so spent she had trouble putting one foot in front of the other on the way home and even Bray had sore feet. Home to bed!

 

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.