Existing Member?

The BIG Trip

Hidden Treasure of Ayutthaya

THAILAND | Friday, 8 July 2011 | Views [585]

This morning we shared breakfast at our guest house with a cool Canadian called Bryce - great chats.

Then we set out to find the floating market...instead we found a palace, museum and Hua Ro Market! By this time it was scorching and so we shelled out for a tuk tuk (they are pimped out here - WAY cooler than in Bangkok) to get to the Chao Sam Phraya National Museum. Got there...decided we didn't want to pay the entrance fee so headed back to the National Art Museum that we stumbled upon when out walking last night.

It was AWESOME. Definitely a hidden treasure of this city...the gallery was fantastic with a real mix of works and then there was another whole level dedicated to information about Ayutthaya past and present. We were the only people there and it was fantastic!

Headed off (in our jandals today - NZ represent!) to find the floating market after that...We're sure Thai people think we're mental as none of them are walking around in the heat of the day - we do get some funny looks! On the way we saw Phom Phet (a fortress) and Bray took more photos - that camera was definitely a good investment.

Finally made it to the floating market, saw water buffallo, regional foods, ate some lunch and wandered with many Thai visitors. Off home after that (still on foot) via the local 7-11 to purchase almost 4 litres of fluid to rehydrate after a beautiful day.

This evening has been spent labelling the millions of Wat pics from yesterday and having a wee rest!

About braynroni


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.