Existing Member?

The Adventures of Bonnie Muddle

Open your venetians- I am in Venice!

ITALY | Sunday, 18 November 2007 | Views [749]



I find myself lost in a sea of crowds. In an attempt to re-surface I barge through the herds of tourists clicking on their kodak, slurping on their quickly melting gelato, bargaining for a "My____(insert relation) went to Italy and all I got was this lousy t-shirt", t-shirt and shuffling along owwing and ahhing and all that is Venice. I am drowning. And I am drowning in the narrow, winding labyrinth that is Venice.



San Marcos square was like finding a pocket of air amidst all the drowning. That is if you discount the pigeons.



San Marcos Square was a hive of activity. Perfect people watching. There we stood, giant gelati in hand looking out at the pigeons and people and taking in the grandeur of this Italian square.

We race around, watch a glass blowing display, admire the beauty of the church, dash across the bridge of sighs and get lost in the ancient prison (which once housed Casanova) and of course make our way to the gondola rank.



We climb in a velvet lined gondola and my friend, Seth and I take the throne and we feel like prom Queen and King. Our gondlier, underneath his striped scooped necked top and tailored pants sports a whole host of trashy tatts, including a tired pitbull a faded rose and an even more faded name of a girl once loved. I am suprised he doesn't have LOVE /HATE across his knuckles. His hair is slicked back in an something Greenpeace would cite capable of killing marine life. He doesn't have much to say. But he does know how to use that paddle.



We glide along the venetian waterways, under small arched bridges and through dark shadows cast by faded buildings. We sail through rays of sunshine which warm our backs rested against velvet thrones.



Tags: Sightseeing

About bonnie_mud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.