Existing Member?

The Adventures of Bonnie Muddle

AMSTERDAM- Bicycles, Bridges and Brownies

NETHERLANDS | Sunday, 18 November 2007 | Views [3211]

Amsterdam a city of bicycles, bridges and brownies (and I’m not talking about the kind your grandma bakes).

Amsterdam although often mistaken as the capital of the Netherlands, it is definitely a capital of culture. A place that turns a blind eye on drugs and prostitution and has a pretty liberal attitude all round, except of course when it comes to the bike lane. Let’s just say I wouldn’t want to cross a Dutchman on a bike lane if I was obscuring his or her path.

The funny thing is how normal the people of Amsterdam are…they weren’t stoned sex-phenes growing magic mushrooms in the back of there organic veggie patch but more quite a serious looking bunch, with good looks, height and a sense of education and conservatism. I guess who can blame them I would be pretty serious or at least seriously pissed off if herds of excitable tourists out to score some pot and a prossie raided my town every night as well.

I must say I could help but be an excitable tourist though too…although I wasn’t on the look out for a prossie.

I had always been curious to walk down the red light district and check out a coffee shop or two.

After a leisurely and liquor lubricating cruise down the canal with the contiki clan. We were now being hurriedly ushered down the cobble stoned streets of the red light district to hit up a ‘cultural show’ deep in the labyrinth or rather in the labia of one very ‘cultural’ girl.

Bored window girls illuminated by a red haze, idly texting on cell phones lined the narrow streets. Oblivious or perhaps just uncaring by the herds of tourists staring in bewilderment through the glass, like children at a zoo. The assortment of lingerie clad girls lazily lean over very hospital- esque bunks ready to pull the white curtain shut and perform an examination…well I guess that is what happens, just perhaps not a medical examination. I am amazed at how sterile and normal it all seems. As if rooting perfect strangers for a buck or 200 Euros is a perfectly acceptable line of work (well 200 Euros for a 10 min session- that is pretty good money).

Once at the ‘Cultural Show’ we are greeted by an enthusiastic door man who begins handing out free drink coupons and penis lollypops whilst ushering us through the doors of an intimate velvet adorned theatre.

We are given the front row. The show begins with no warm up, no now we are about to see rampant sex on stage, no slow build up to the fact a now very naked, expressionless couple are having sex on a rotating lazy susan, as if rehearsing a choreographed series of yoga moves.

Mouth open, slightly aghast, I am boggled in thoughts, I wonder how many times a day they have sex, I wonder if they are a real couple as announced, I wonder how a.) He keeps it up and b.) How she stays lubricated and out of pain with her legs over her head like that. As the curtain closes I am left pondering how ‘salute to the sun’ became a sex position.

The following acts involve a leopard-women doing a striptease to eye of the tiger, a well-endowed man flinging his package around like he was squatting flies and two more ‘real-life’ couples on the lazy susan.

By this stage I have had without realizing had a fair bit to drink (you know this is always the start of a good story). This was in order to take the edge off what I was witnessing and witnessing with 60 or so other people. Yeah I’ve watched porn but not with 60 other people in the room or come to think of it not quite involving acts like this one….with the exception of some bad porn watched in uni days…disguised under the name Bare Bitch Project (Spin off of Blair Witch Project- you can imagine how good that one was).

When next thing I know a lady dressed in a costume from ‘Jane and Tarzan’ clutching a banana in her hand is asking for volunteers. I don’t know if it was the alcohol, the egging on of 30 people, the look of sheer desperation in the eyes of Jane or just the fact I felt I was being dared and to not go up on stage would mean I had failed in giving everything a go (something I promised myself when first coming overseas).

So up I went on stage. There I was under the bright lights standing where I had just witnessed the last couple going at it doggy-style with Jane, a banana and what looked like someone dressed in a giant ape outfit with a throbbing hard on in the wings. This was not a Holy cow Batman but more of a HOLY SHIT what have I gotten myself into moment.

The music starts up and Jane starts dancing around, waving the banana around like it was a golden oracle. In order to warm me up she has me copy some moves she makes. It turns into a bit of put your right arm, you put your right arm out, put your left arm in, put your left arm out, put your bum in you put your bum out and you wave it all about. So there we are doing the dutch porno version of the hockey pockey…the music then dies down…the crowd is hushed…we are obviously being built up for something. Jane goes down. Jane spreads her legs. Banana is inserted. Banana is peeled.

Now comes my part…

I am handed a blind fold.

The music is building to a crescendo.

I am led to Jane. I am instructed to eat the banana. No turning back now. I pray I am going to get banana to go, hold the muff.

The first mouthful of that banana was a welcome relief … that is until the ape from the wings emerges with a giant strap- on and stats rubbing up against me from behind, making animated and overly excited ape sounds.

The crowd bursts into fits of laughter as I make a hasty retreat to my seat.

Let’s just say I will never be able to look at a banana the same way again or an ape for that matter.

Next stop was to a famous coffee shop. Now not to get you confused but a coffee shop sells marijuana and a café sells coffee- go figure.


One of the more happening and well known establishments, named after a ‘grass’ dwelling insect lured us in with promises of smoke ranging from black widow to bubblegum and a selection of brownies.

With the confusion of having to press a button to light up a screen with an extensive menu that could out- do the Cheesecake Factory - I went the brownie route.

I had been advised to only have half the brownie, wait an hour, then have the other half. But that is like telling a small child to eat half their ice cream and then wait an hour and eat the other half. Not going to happen. I waited all about 5mins before devoring the second half of my brownie. Feeling slightly mellow I still wasn’t satisfied. So I then went on to a black widow. Never really being a Frenchie in the art of smoking. I was more a Sandy. Having only the year before been coached by my boyfriend how to effectively smoke a joint. I went through the step-by-step process…Suck. Swallow. Hold your breath. (God this sound like another lesson a boyfriend once taught me). Slowly let the smoke come out your mouth…

With that I looked like a Class A TOOL standing there as if at a birthing class trying to smoke a giant and now very wet joint, while a table away were some rastas blowing smoke rings around me.

By this stage, I was well and truly up with the kites.


Now the hard part, trying to find your way home admist a whole host of challenges, including a now raging appetite, too many bright lights and a maze of cobble- stoned streets. Realising it was only five minutes until the last train departed to our out-of-town inn…an inebriated brownie munching friend and myself left the group of rowdy Aussie chicks in search of some ‘sweet ‘shrooms’ and attempted to locate the train station.

It took almost 15mins to find the train station which was across the road from where we originally had started our search. It took 20 minutes of much confusion and 5 train guard’s assistance to purchase a ticket to a train which was supposed to have already left.

With some stroke of luck we somehow (really I don’t know how) found and boarded our train. Now not so lucky was another young lad on tour with us from Dallas.

He was found once the lights went on at the end of the sex show sucking face with the lucky lady sitting next to him. Oblivious to the fact the audience had turned its attention away from the stage and to Dallas and his new tonsil tennis partner groping one another…god knows what would have happened if there wasn’t an arm rest forcing the separation of the two. Anywho…he and his mistress had decided to take an earlier train back to re-enact some of what was seen on stage. Now equally as confused once at the train station. Dallas hopes on a train to ask directions. Bad idea.

The doors shut.

Worse still, the particular train he got on was the last for the night.

One way to Germany please.

Not only did he not get laid he ended up in the middle of somewhere. Somewhere he couldn’t speak the language and somewhere he didn’t have any money and somewhere he had to hitch a ride with a truck driver through the night to get back to Amsterdam.

Lesson here: never get on an active train in a foreign country to ask directions.

The following morning after knocking back a sickening cone of chips with mayo and tomato sauce (Dutch specialty designed for stoners) I headed off to see Anne Frank’s house. A little too bleary eyed from the night before to fully appreciate the house that was the hiding place for the young Jewish girl who was persecuted by the Nazis during World War Two, and the famous diary she wrote there…but now satisfied I had done something in Amsterdam besides get stoned and see a sex show.

Next stop- the Heineken Brewery. A kooky bunch of Dutchmen must have had a say in this place. What better then at the end of every exhibition having a bar for a beer break of the famous amber substance. After polishing off the free beer you arrive at a creative center where you can be transported to a country-side in Holland to sing (in Dutch) to a karaoke machine or perhaps you want to lounge around in a space capsule and watch bad ads from the 80's.

After all the excitement expelled in Amsterdam it was time to get back on the bus...and sleep it off until the next stop...


Tags: Laughter

About bonnie_mud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.