Existing Member?

The Adventures of Bonnie Muddle

London Times

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 18 November 2007 | Views [1038]


After a sleep-less flight from New York City, a 2 hr immigration line, a pulled shoulder heaving all the luggage through Heathrow Airport and a tube ticket in the direction of Cockfosters (try not laughing at this when sleep deprived) we arrive in LONDON!

First stop. Clapham South. We step out from one of the steepest escalators, the icy breeze hitting our faces to the Australian ridden suburb of Clapham South.

Once locating Karla's apartment (thanks to my personal GPS system and former resident of the Clapham area, Dave), we are greeted by one of many dossers* crashing at Karla's pad. A shower and a sleep and I was as new of a woman I could be on a good dose of jet lag. Karla and Heelena had organised a dinner date at a Mexican restaurant in Clapham, followed by a bombardment of former Charles Sturt Uni mates at the local pub.



It is amazing you can run into more people you know in London than you can in any city in Australia. After a few cidars and pints and a lot of catching up with old friends all in the midst of travels i was ready to crash and crash out I did.

We had a weekend of unusual sunshine and warmth.
So we made the most of the weather and the Thames Festival action down on South bank.



As we weaved through music acts, gourmet food stalls, buskers, drinking crowds and happy shining people and many of them I got a great view of South Bank in all its glory and some of the major architectural icons of London- including the Thames building, the Gerkin and London bridge.



The warmth and sunshine continued for Miss Karla's birthday, so we headed for Clapham common to have a picnic and blow some bubbles...







The party continued with drinks out in SoHo and an old Irish friend of Dave's to liven things up. We shotted (very expensive and exactly portion controlled shots) through the night, danced up a storm, caught a tuk-tuk to an "offie"* to buy copius amounts of beer (we never end up drinking) and bribe the store attendant into giving Karla a birthday present (we end up with a chocolate bar!) then hope in a black cab back to Karla's pad.




The last day in London town...Dave took me into town and we hoped on one of the classic red double decker tour buses to get a fly-by look at the icons of London. Unfortunately the weather had turned ghastly chilly. Determined however to ride on the double deck of the bus we cuddled up with the cool wind hitting our faces as we managed to snap a few pics of Big Ben, the London eye, Buckingham Palace (well the gates at least), Hyde park, Trafalgar square, Piccadilly, Park Lane, Oxford St...a regular game of monopoly really.
After we couldn't take the drizzle and wind anymore we hoped off and warmed up with some Indian (very popular cuisine in London) and a pint before catching the tube home.

Tags: Adventures

About bonnie_mud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.