Existing Member?

The Adventures of Bonnie Muddle

Under the Tuscan Sun

ITALY | Sunday, 18 November 2007 | Views [637]


After a big night out in Rome, involving one too many vinos, a slice of nutella pizza and lack of a thing called sleep. I set off to Tuscany.
This meant a very long and very hectic start at the Rome train station. Italians as they are dramatic, pushy and loud. Very hard to deal with all the confusion and drama at a train station with a shocking hangover and the looming inevitability of meeting the boys family for the first time.
After being pushed and shoved by one too many Italians on one too many espressos. I narrowly miss my scheduled train that was to get me in on the scheduled time to meet the boys family.

I felt like some damsel in one of those movies chasing after the departing train with her lover looking back at her. Hopeless. face pressed against the glass. Doors shut just as she approaches. Train edges away.. See now the Italian drama is rubbing off.

With the help of another damsel who had also missed the train but had the added edge of being able to speak the language and the Italian push-in-front of the line gene. It was sorted through translation and pity for a the girl taking a vacation in struggle city.

So with a ticket on the next train, with a tad detour to Florence I was on my way.


So have multiple micro-sleeps and a gaggle of giggling ginos in my ear. I arrive in Siena to greet the Baker brood.



As we wind around the last bend along the dirt road, we pull up to the most beautiful Tuscan villa.


Perched above a valley of vineyards, rustic old terracotta tinged stones create a two-story vintage villa built, lived and loved for hundreds of years. Blooming bright fushia bougainvillea climb up lattice and large arched windows with wooden shutters let the perfect amount of light into the spacious bright rooms and cast rays across the white vintage lace four posted bed.

We all gather around a large table on the veranda to enjoy a home cooked lunch- Tuscan style.
The sun warms my back and the smooth red wine warms me inside. We sit around and talk, laugh, eat, drink and bask in the afternoon sun. My head feels light with the ecstasy and the pure relaxation of it all.




The evening is spent walking through the vineyards, ripe plump purple grapes hang from the vines and the afternoon sun slowly fades away and brings a cool crisp breeze.
We watch the sun set from the top of the small township, the church bell rings and echoes across the ever expansive vineyards. My breath is taken away in the moment. I am happy. Purely happy. I take the time and distance my wandering thoughts to take it all in and simply enjoy the beauty of it all.








Dinner is a three course home cooked meal, made with love, time and fresh herbs growing in the garden. Each mouthful is pure bliss. I savor the fresh, robust flavors of every ingredient.
The wine is smooth, sweet and makes me feel numb with pleasure. I am beginning to enjoy this way of life.

The following day I receive the rare treat of breakfast in bed, I delight in the sunshine shining through and the crispness of the white sheets.








We take the day exploring the townships in the surrounding area. We wander around the bustling leather stalls, drink frothy cappuccinos and marvel at the small scooter turned hatchback ute. We wander through arch ways down stoned pathways leading to rustic homes with brightly coloured shutters. We admire the impressive views, and drive past ancient stone castles. We eat lunch down in an old cellar, sipping on wine and indulging on succulent delicacies. We sing happy birthday and admire each others purchases.








The afternoon is spent in the Siena square slurping on gelato and watching the ongoings of the people coming and going and also enjoying the late afternoon sun.








I am sad when I have to leave. In fact I cry. I have enjoyed being looked after and not having the stresses of traveling weighing down on my heavy shoulders. Shoulders pulled down with the weight of an ever-expanding back-pack, the accumulation of useless novelty souvenirs and the impractical sized- Lonely planet. I have enjoyed the beauty of the Tuscan hills, the warmth of the Tuscan sun, I have enjoyed the guiltless indulgences and pure pleasure of it all. And maybe most of all I have enjoyed seeing the boy again.














Tags: Culture

About bonnie_mud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.