Existing Member?

The Adventures of Bonnie Muddle

The hills are alive with the sound of music

AUSTRIA | Sunday, 18 November 2007 | Views [1385]


As I wake from a bus riding induced coma on board coach 'Contiki', I struggle to focus and the first thing I see through bleary eyes is jaggered ice-capped hills admist rolling green.
Lace curtains part behind shuttered windows and brightly coloured flower boxes line the panes of slanted roofed chalets. It is breath taking. I am in Austria and the hills are alive with the sound of music!




And what better way to wake up to the fact that I am in the Austrian Tyrol than being splashed in the face with ice cold water. And by that I mean- ice, ice, ice cold water. What better way to experience ice cold water from the Tyrol than go white water rafting!



Besides the minus degree water- the white water rafting was amazing. In between waiting for my fingers to thaw out enough to hold my paddle the surroundings were simply may i say it again...breathtaking.

That is me second from back

Gliding, splashing, laughing and shivering in between pinching myself to the fact that I was being tossed around like a pantyhose in a washing machine admist a scene from 'Heidi'. Green, fertile hills, cows grazing on meadows, sun shining down illuminating each individual cheerful flower- happy to be growing in such beautiful surroundings.

To warm up after our deep freeze we were handed a shot of schnapps. I didn't realise although being conjoined with sweet fruits such as strawberries, apples and peaches, Schnapps- the real stuff. Tastes a lot like tequila. Definitely strong. Definitely warming.




The township of Innsbruck, was oh so quaint! This is the place famous for the Winter Olympics; a gorgeous imperial church perched above the township and below the mountainous scenery, a little bakery with the smell of sweet strudel wafting out on to the cobblestoned streets.
I swear I even saw Julie Andrews with a cane basket in hand skipping along.




I couldn't go to Austria and not pop in to the Swarovski Crystal World.

Mum would have been very disappointed.



I entered inside the giant with glistening crystal eyes. After being dazzled by the 11m high crystal wall and the inside of a giant crystal prism I indulged myself in some little treasures from the Swarovski store.

Tags: Adrenaline

About bonnie_mud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.