Existing Member?

Into the blue... "LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE"

Galapagos-style close encounter...

ECUADOR | Friday, 16 December 2011 | Views [390]

I'm sitting at my favorite cafe on Santa Cruz watching the world go by...and feel so lucky that I have had the opportunity to visit the Galapagos and experience one of the most amazing, diverse places on earth. I feel as though this is the pinnacle of my traveling to-date...both in terms of the phenomenal diving and wildlife, and the amazing people I have met. How do I get David Attenboroughs job, so I can travel and see this kind of life all the time, and meet peeps along the way?!

Yesterday was my last day of diving in the Galapagos...and it did not disappoint. Scuba Iguana took us out to Bartolomé, a stunning island an hour and a half from Santa Cruz. It's a great spot for macro photography and I got some great shots of puffer fish, starfish, beautiful soft corals...and then got the fright of my life...I was dealing with a bit of an ear equalization issue, when I turned and saw a rather large Hammerhead glistening in the sun, cruising past me...and pretty close. I managed to get my camera up for a shot which was lucky, because my buddies were ahead of me and missed him altogether! I indicated that I'd just seem a Hammerhead (using the universal shark symbol followed by a fist on either side of my head for 'hammerhead') but they clearly didn't believe me, assuming that they couldn't possibly have missed him. Thank god for my Olympus...they were gutted to have missed such a close encounter. Neh neh neh neh neh!

Loads of thanks to Paulo and Kiki from Scuba Iguana, and Adam for being a top buddy for my 6 dives ;-)

I'm heading back to San Cristobal this afternoon, will catch up with some Jatun Sacha peeps, and then I fly back to Quito on Sunday...and then to family in Brisbane!!! Cannot wait for family hugs and quality time!

Im missing the Galapagos already...and Ive not even left yet...


X

About bekinthebigblue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.