Existing Member?

Into the blue... "LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE"

Far too much rum...goodbyes...tears...minor altitude sickness - must be back in Quito then...

ECUADOR | Monday, 19 December 2011 | Views [305]

Cannot for the life of me understand where the last 4 weeks disappeared to...I think the Galapagos must have been in some kind of alternate reality.

I am now back in Quito with my gorgeous host family after flying in from San Cristobal on Sunday. So nice to rock up to their house and get warm hugs and "Hola Becky!" from Teo and Susana. Love you guys!

My last weekend in the Galapagos was, funnily enough, just as amazing as the preceding weeks had been. I got a boat back to San Cristobal from Santa Cruz on Friday afternoon and met up with lots of Jatun Sacha peeps....was like coming home. Humphrey and Becka were keen on hiring kayaks, so on Saturday six of us headed out in the morning, hired 3 double kayaks and headed off around the coast. Had ham and cheese sandwiches after a 45min kayak...on a beach by ourselves...oh, and a raft of sea lions! (yes, I googled what a group of sea lions is called...). The group male was patrolling the beach though, and he wasn't keen on us getting in the water with the females or pups...quite lucky he allowed us on the beach at all quite frankly!

After a wander around and a few gorgeous sea lion pics, we packed up and headed back with a stop off at a famous snorkeling spot. We tied our three kayaks together and had turns snorkeling. I wasn't keen on getting in as the water was freezing, plus after 14 dives, decided I had seen everything I needed to see (Becka suggested I was now a snorkeling snob), until a sea lion pup came over to investigate. I was straight in the water and spent a good 45 mins swimming and playing with him...until his mum showed up and escorted him off...too funny! She had obviously had enough of him at the playground. It was Bridget's first ever snorkel...she was beside herself after spending time with the pup...gotta love the Galapagos!

Saturday night was my final night out with Jatun Sacha peeps...then sad goodbyes on Sunday morning. Had leaky eyes again...must get that looked at ;-)

So...two days of relaxation in Quito then family in Brisbane!! Looking forward to lots of hugs and family time :-)

X

About bekinthebigblue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.