Existing Member?

THE world trip his journal is to let all those i know and care about (hello!) get a little bit more info about what im doing, and where. Also, its a gesture to calm my poor mums nerves whilst her first born child explores the big wide world. Hopefully it wont back fire

Fairwell to NZ- its was great while it lasted

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 27 April 2007 | Views [934]

Well, we were slated form the start about the amount of time we had to spare in NZ, but i would say 'Hah' to the dissentors! we saw all we wanted and it was great! After getting the ferry from  North to South Island ( where, as it is a  very small world, i saw a girl i went to uni with, Random!) we headed across to Nelson. This was  a  very nice, rather small town, where we took full advantage of the spa, swimming pool and free soup at the hostel. We felt we deserved a bit of  abreak, as obviously we have been exerting ourselves so much!

We properly packed in the south island after that; from Nelson, we went to Greymouth ( so good, it doesnt even make the lonely planet shoestring budget guide to NZ, which says it all, though it was rather quirky, with its 'noahs ark' themed hostel. We stayed in 'Tiger' room!). Then we went to Franz Josef to check out the glacier. The plan had been to do a glacier walk, but the fates intervened, and a massive storm meant it wasnt safe to go up. Instead, we wandered to the base, and took  a photo. Almost on a par, i would say. Then, we headed down to Queenstown ( by the way, the whole of the west coast is stunning, with rugged beaches and loads of national parks and words cannot do it justice). As a break from our travel norm, we stayed two nights here, instead of one. It was great! It has wicked clubs, where you get your drinks in teapots, and we were able to do a day trip to 'Milford Sound'. Its one of the most famous places in nz, an epic fjord land, which was just unbelievable!

After a couple of days break from the Magic bus, we hopped on again, and headed for Dunedin. Urm, not really all that much to report- to give some idea about the limited activites, we went to the Cadbury factory tour, and saw the 'Steepest road in the world'. Oh yes, rocking.

But nevermind. The next stop was Lake Tekapo- i had b\never heard of this place before, but i am not sure why it is not more famous. It is  VERY small town (i.e. a street, with one of the oldest church buildings in NZ)over looking the most brilliantly blue lake. The water is such a vivid colour dur to "rock flour", a glacial deposit that makes the water highly reflective; therefore a bright day equals a brillianytly unnatural turquoise lake. we were going to spend our one afternoon here horse trekking around the lake, but some fool had dug up part of the path. we had to content ourselves with red wine and the \views. Such a shame.

Finally, we made it into Christ church, and spent a good couple of days there. this is a pretty city, where i was able to indulge my horse trekking needs. (though it was nowhere near as impressive as Chile). It was also nice just to be settled in one place, afetr our hectic bus dash. And as time has been pretty tight, against my better environmental inclinations, we were forced to get an internal flight back up to Auckland. Auckland, the city that just doesnt like to see us go! The plan wfor when we got back here was to do one final trip, north to the Bay of Islands, and spend two nights there. Alas, the bus was full, and we had to sapend another day in Auckland, before we could head out. Feel like i know that place inside out!

  However, the bay of island \s was totally worth the wait- very hot, very beautiful, with a very relaxed sea port town feel. Only issue was, like most of the rest of New Zealand, you really feel that you always need more time and far more money, to be able to get stuck into the best of the activites; we conteneted ourselves with the free bikes at the hostel!

  And so, that was NZ!! Overall, its been rapid, very exciting, and very painful on the purse, but totally worth it. My only qualm has been treated as a tourist, and nothing else- tourism is now nz's biggest earner, and you can really tell. Even without alot of money, you will be ferried from place to place, and activites, tour groups and treks will be thrust upon you, but i suppose that is how the country works best. I rather missed the challenge of independent travelling though, and not just being a holiday maker. But im very very glad i went, and cant wait for oz!

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.