Existing Member?

THE world trip his journal is to let all those i know and care about (hello!) get a little bit more info about what im doing, and where. Also, its a gesture to calm my poor mums nerves whilst her first born child explores the big wide world. Hopefully it wont back fire

The end of the south american leg

CHILE | Friday, 30 March 2007 | Views [915]

Phew

Im absoulutley knackered! After San Pedro, we raced down to Santiago via the the 24 hr bus ride (we are much to hard core to get a flight!) And then from Santiago we went out again, to the town of Vina del mar, about an hour away. This place had come highly recommened by alot of the people we had met, as it is very pretty, and very easy on the tourist. However, i personally found it a bit bland- great, there is a clock embedded in a flower bed. Super. But that really was a bout it. It is a tourist town for both foriengers and chileans alike, so you can imagine its like any tourist resort in the world.

  But we had a nice time, chilling out, going to the beach etc, but that was only after recovering from the shock of paying 11000 pesos (About 11 pounds) to stay in a hostelling international which was more like a hotel, for one night. We soon scarpered from there! Not quite how the guide book made out!

   After a couple of nights in Vina, we went to Valpraiso- now that is a cool place! Its only 10 mins by bus from vina, but its a world apart. On the face of it, it looks like a dirty port town. But when you head up into the surrounding hills, its the coolest bohemien place! All the houses are funky colours, the cafes are really quirky, and there is art work everywhere. I loved it there, it was so chilled out.

It was quite a shock to come from there, back to Santiago, the biggest city we had seemn sionce lima. We have spent 5 nights here. Too long in my opinion, but we wanted a chill before flying out to NZ on the 1st of April. The hostel we are staying at, La Casa Roja, is a gorgous place, even if the staff leave something to be desired in the friendliness dept!

For the first time on out trip, we have really chilled out. We went wine tasting a couple of days ago, in the vine yards Concha Y Tore, and Abburranga, which was lovely and classy for a change! Now contemplating a dip in the pool, so i cant complain really!

Like i said, off to NZ on Sunday; ive loved South America, but im happy to be off. And ive found id definately recommend Peru over Chile, if you are going in for a cultural experience. So heres to the next adventure and the next leg of our trip!! 

Tags: Relaxation

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.