Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Siem Reap, Cambodia,

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 30 July 2008 | Views [911]

I've stayed in Siem Reap longer than planned because I'm more comfortable than I thought.  But that's only because I'm not really seeing Cambodia.  I'm kind of scared of it.  Luckily, I've made a friend. 

Brendan from Ireland has been my travel buddy around Siem Reap.  We walked around town and went to the temples together.  We just bought train tickets to Phnom Penh together.  It's been nice having a friend around.  And he's jut as lazy as I am about seeing overrated and overpriced touristy stuff.  In fact, I think his favorite word in English is lazy. 

My impression of Cambodia so far is extreme poverty.  The children are beautiful, but they will curse you out in English in a heartbeat if you don't want to buy their water.  Other than that, the people seem to be very nice.  They speak much better English in SE Asia than in China.  They aren't trying too hard to be white.  And they are generally lazy and having a good time.  I guess that's sort of why I got trapped here.

Tomorrow I'm off to Phnom Penh and museums about the Khmer Rouge.  Perhaps my opinion will change...

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.