Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Onward

THAILAND | Saturday, 26 July 2008 | Views [890]

Because my Vietnamese visa doesn't allow me into the country until August 1 and because everyone says a week in Cambodia is more than enough, I have been chillin' in Bangkok for two weeks now.  By chillin' I mean doing almost nothing.  

It's been amazing.

I'm glad I had a little time to just be me.  I only wish it could have been on the beach as was originally planned.  I've recified that, however, by changing my plans to include a couple beaches in Vietnam.  Unlike Cambodia, everyone I've met says it's definitely worth it to spend more than a week in Vietnam.  And so that's what I've decided to do. 

But before that begins, a few last thoughts on Thailand.

I changed my mind.  I could definitely enjoy this place for a longer period of time than just traveling.  I'm not sure what kind of work I would do here besides teaching English (which I'm not sure I want to sing into again), but I could live here and get used to the chili for awhile.

I realized that my laziness prevented me from seeing some of the most amazing things in the world.  So Thailand definitely warrants at least another visit.  All that said, I couldn't be happier with the way I've spent the last two weeks.  I've learned a little more about what makes this place tick, but I'm not sure I understand it wholly (or really ever will).

It's much different from China.  In almost every way.  It's much more Western and English-speaking.  But it's still holding tightly to its own culture.  If there's one thing that's made an impression on me (besides the transexuals; side note: I had a very pleasant conversation with two last night) it's the college girl uniforms.

Students wear uniforms here.  The high school girls wear very big dark blue skirts with light blue button down tops.  The elementary girls wear shorts with button down shirts with scalloped collars and this little scarf thing.  The uniforms the boys wear are almost indistinguishable from the regular clothes.

But the college girls...a tight black mini skirt with tight translucent white button down shirts with big silver buttons.  They're allowed to wear whatever shoes they want.  Perhaps this is what that French guy meant about the sexiness of Thai ladies.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.