Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Music

CHINA | Thursday, 12 June 2008 | Views [710]

The lesson on “Imagine” in my text book led to an idea for my final quiz.  I ran it by Mario and Ilan to make sure I wasn’t insane.  With a confirmation that it didn’t seem to hard, I plunged into it, really excited about the idea.

One of my favorite assignments in university was reading the lyrics to a song as poetry and explaining my interpretation to my class.  I really started to love poetry from that class.  And I realized that the reason I can appreciate good music is mostly based on the lyrics. 

So I figured my students might benefit from this assignment as well.  I gave them instructions and hoped it would go well.

It didn’t.

After five or so people “explained” their songs by saying things like, “I like it because it makes me feel relax.”  And, “This song is about love.”  I got a little frustrated.  Even when I pointed out lyrics that could mean something completely different from what they were saying, they refused to even think about it. 

Contributing to my frustration and not helping my mood was the fact that Chinese people have AWFUL taste in English music.  I heard so many Backstreet Boys-esque songs (and a few Backstreet Boys ones) that I was ready to re-enter junior high or throw up.  They picked songs that were almost exclusively about…love.  But they couldn’t (or wouldn’t) explain what aspect of love the song was trying to whine about. 

I think my advice from kindergarten teachers was ill-advised.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.