Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

In the air

CHINA | Wednesday, 16 April 2008 | Views [654]

It's official. Spring is here. And it's floating on the air along with some weird pollen/dandelion things.

There are vines that run along the outside of my window. When I first moved in they were covered in green leaves, framing the view of the hutong behind my house. It was very quaint and homey. Just what I needed after my disatrous first month.

But soon they started to die and fall off. The vines stayed, but they were a bare reminder of how nice the summer had been. Especially when the temperature froze and the heat wasn't on.

I closed my curtains to block the view of the formerly pretty things and to keep in as much heat as possible.

Last week, I opened the curtains to let in as much warmth as possible. My apartment is slowing thawing, and the warm air from outside is helping the process. In the course of the last few days, the vines have reminded me about their previous beauty. They are covered, once again, with nice healthy green leaves.

I've also dusted off my poor plant and started watering it again. I gave it a haircut (in which the majority of the leaves ended up in the trash). I'm hoping it springs back to life like the vines did.

So a spring that doesn't have allergic reactions on the menu is seemingly coming to Beijing. I get to enjoy yet another season that has been foreign to me my whole life.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.