Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

What is American food?

CHINA | Monday, 14 April 2008 | Views [527] | Comments [1]

Very few people in the United States grew up eating like I did. Firstly, I lived in Louisiana, so Cajun food was a staple. Secondly, my dad's is from New York, so Italian food, pizza, and Chinese food were never to be missed. Thirdly, my dad's side of the family is slightly Polish, so there was no want for sauerkraut, kielbasa, or potato pancakes.

The combination of these cultures and food choices is very rare. I have exposed my friends in Baton Rouge to Polish food, and my friends in New Jersey and China to Cajun food. And these things delight me.

So what is American food?

I asked my students. They said, "McDonald's!" very proud that they knew an answer. I just rolled my eyes. Because, if I can't figure out what American food is, how am I supposed to explain it to them?

Today, another planning session and lunch commenced with Kiri. This time, she invited some of the students. She made hamburgers for them to show them what real hamburgers are like.

If I had to pin down a food that could be labled American, I would have to start with hamburgers. But Kiri is not American. She's from New Zealand. She's a Kiwi. And she's a native Kiwi (not the imported Scottish-Irish kind like Chris). Her hamburgers were not American.

She put leeks in them. She had eggs on the side. She had tomato sauce instead of ketchup. They were very good. But definitely not an American-style hamburger.

At the end of the meal (which the students may or may not have enjoyed...Chinese are too polite to actually show their emotions), she proclaimed, "And THAT'S a hamburger."

I just rolled my eyes.

Comments

1

i think american food is hot dogs, hamburgers, mac and cheese, pizza, pot roast, chicken and dumplings, corn bread and greens, b b q anything, smoked sausage, biscuits and mater gravy (or white gravy),apple pie, moon pie, cherry pie, sweet potato pie, cracklins, and i believe we stole lasagna,and (american) chinese.

  pop Apr 16, 2008 6:19 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.