Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Match making

CHINA | Tuesday, 6 November 2007 | Views [519]

I think I created a couple.

A few weeks ago, I broke my students into groups and made them do presentations together. I didn’t think that there was a chance that these students didn’t know each other; they have all their classes together. But at the end of the presentation, I made them write a one paragraph summary of the project. I wanted to get an idea of what they thought of it and if I should do it again.

The responses were extremely positive. They all fretted about how poor a job they did (which was not true at all) and how much they enjoyed working with people they didn’t know (which shocked and appalled me). They all seemed to really enjoy two solid classes of doing nothing but planning for their presentation. I wasn’t too strict on the only speaking English. And it seems to have led to several friendships. The students rearranged themselves to facilitate the group interactions, and those changes have remained permanent even a week after the presentations.

But one of my favorite students has seemingly found a girlfriend. She was part of his group, but she’s not particularly good at or outspoken in English. His name is Frank, hers Betty. He tends to be rather good in English, but the last few classes have proved lackluster for Frank. Instead of his usual post in the very front of class, he’s now lazily reclining near the back avoiding my eye contact.

It’s cute, really, but also frustrating. He could improve dramatically over the next few months, but he’s sacrificing it for love.  Hopefully, the opposite will become true and Betty will improve her English skills in an effort to impress deal ole Frank. 

Ah, college.

Tags: Work

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.