Existing Member?

avant-garde_chauvintist wandering through the garden of ideals

Hanging ten

CHINA | Friday, 2 November 2007 | Views [524]

Case, me, Mario.  Doin' our thing on a foot bridge in Beijing.

Case, me, Mario. Doin' our thing on a foot bridge in Beijing.

Exactly one week since my first couch surfing experience, I will enjoying my first hosting experience.

So it's not really strangers; it's Case and Mario. And, yes, they live in Beijing. And maybe they're freeloading to avoid paying a ridiculous cab fare. But, hey, good people = good times, right?

Quiz #2 in class today, and I couldn't have been more bored. I made them speak about anything they wanted using 10 vocabulary words. One of the words was "inventor" and about 10 of them talked about Thomas Edison and his invention of the light bulb. I nearly fell asleep 10 times.

Overall, the kids are getting used to me. Speaking in front of the class is nearly old hat for them now. And some of them are even daring enough to do it without the trusty paper of everything they want to say with them. Those students get an automatic 100% because I'm so impressed. Perhaps (another vocabulary word) my grading is skewed, but I only have a few who are failing right now. And those are the students who never come to class. One kid got a 6/50 on his presentation because he didn't even show up to give it...

I think my air conditioner/heater accummulated a lot of dust in the two months or so of nonuse. I woke up with clogged sinuses a la pollen season in Louisiana. I've had a headache all day, but I couldn't be happier that my heater is finally on. I slept like a baby. But it's weird that the pollution/smog/never see a blue sky condition in Beijing hasn't forced this condition on me sooner. Maybe I'm used to the Cancer Alley that is my hometown, but not the sleeping in piles of dust that is my bed.

Tags: Work

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.