Existing Member?

Round the world in 7 months How will you know, if you never go?

Berlin

GERMANY | Wednesday, 24 June 2009 | Views [827]

On Thursday we caught a train to Berlin where we were to stay with Ash & Nick for 4 nights.  Funnily enough Georgia was also there for a few nights too staying with some friends of her dads!  Ash & Nick live in a flat in Koppenplatz near Hackescher Markt, which turned out to be a great place to base ourselves for a few days of Berlin adventures.  After a late start we met up with Georgia on Friday for some sightseeing (Ash & Nick opted out as they have seen it all a million times!).  We managed to fit a number of sites into the afternoon, including the TV Tower (368m high) at Alexanderplatz which gave us great 360 degree views of Berlin as we ate cake and drank German beer in the revolving restaurant, Brandenberg Gate, Reichstag (Parliament, but we didn’t climb up the glass dome because the queue was too long) and nearby Tiergarten, the Holocaust Memorial (really interesting but very sombre), the site of Hitler’s bunker, Checkpoint Charlie, and finally Potsdamer Platz and the Sony Centre.  After a tough day of sightseeing it was time for a beer, so we met Ash & Nick at Berliner Prater, a well known beer garden, and tasted some excellent wheat beer, pilsner and dark beer.

 

On Saturday Abe, Georgia & I started off at Gedenkstatte Berliner Mauer, where you can climb up a tower and see the Berlin Wall and a reconstructed no-mans land.  It seemed very fitting that at that point in time the weather turned sour and it started raining heavily, which added to the sombre mood of the place.  Afterwards we met up with Ash & Nick and spent the afternoon wandering around Museums Island and Unter den Linden, seeing some spectacular old buildings, and the book burning memorial at Bebelplatz.  The afternoon ended with a Russian-style tea at Tadschikische Teestube, where we were served tea with various things to sweeten our tea (brown and white sugar, and jam of all things!), things to nibble on (tiny dried lime and orange cubes, raisins soaked in rum, sweets, and biscuits).  Needless to say we were all pretty stuffed by the end of it!

 

On Sunday Georgia few off to London, and the rest of us started the day with a Berlin tradition, Sunday brunch!  It turned out to be a buffet of cereal, yoghurt, wurst (sausages!), eggs, salad, cold meats and cheese, fruit and cake.  Again we were stuffed, and around midday we headed for the Soviet Memorial, which was HUGE and quite impressive!  In the evening Berlin was host to Fete de la Musik, where numerous places around the central city have music stages set up, and musicians play everything from dance music and hip hop to jazz and funk to rock and pop.  We headed for one place around the corner and drank beer while listening to a dj playing chilled out trance, and a band, before continuing on to 2 other local bars.

 

We had a great time in Berlin, thanks to Ash & Nick’s extensive knowledge of the city!  It really is an awesome place, with a great mix of old and new… the arts and music scenes are alive and kicking, bars and clubs are open late, the beer is cheap and really good, and you can’t go further than a couple of hundred metres without tripping over a place selling Wurst – what more could one ask for??

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.