Existing Member?

Round the world in 7 months How will you know, if you never go?

Ireland

IRELAND | Monday, 20 July 2009 | Views [939]

Ahhh, more Guinness!

Ahhh, more Guinness!

In our last week in this part of the world we had booked a 3 day trip to Ireland – yay for cheap flights!  We few into Shannon in the west of Ireland and stayed the night in a B&B nearby.  The couple who owned it were awesome and served us a full Irish breakfast the next morning… cereal, toast, yoghurt, fruit, and a plate of bacon, eggs, sausages and tomatoes – yum!  The following day we hired a car, which ended up being WAY easier than expected, we didn’t even have international drivers licences!  We headed up towards Galway via the western coast to see the Cliffs of Moher, which are comprised of alternating mudstone/siltstone/sandstone layers (geeky geology stuff), and an area called The Burren, which is all limestone.  The scenery was spectacular, and we really enjoyed the freedom of having our own wheels!  For lunch we went to a little Irish pub in Kilfenora and had local smoked salmon and the most divine Irish stew!  Oh, and a Guinness  J  We stayed that night in Galway City, which is a great little place with beautiful architecture and lively restaurants and bars, we even listened to a bit of Irish music.

 

The following day we headed west along Galway Bay into an area called Connemara.  The scenery here was different again, but still really spectacular, with many small fishing villages to stop at along the way.  One town called Carraroe has a beach made entirely of coral, very pretty!  This area is also known as The Gaeltacht, where the Irish language is still spoken as a community language and often the signs are in Irish only.  After another awesome lunch in Clifden (fish and chips for Abe and lamb with mint sauce for me) we headed north through the Twelve Pins and the towns of Letterfrack and Leenane (next to Killary Harbour, Ireland’s only fjiord) to Westport where we stayed the night.  Westport was a lovely little town with pretty architecture, and we stayed in a hostel that used to be a stagecoach house.

 

On the last day we headed back towards Shannon, taking the scenic route and stopping at Limerick for lunch and then Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, which were really fun to explore.  We had a Guinness at Mac’s pub in the Folk Park and also tried Mead, which is apparently made from “honey, fruit of the vine and selected herbs”.  A random fact for you: in olden times the bride and groom drank Mead for one full moon after their wedding, hence the term “honeymoon”.  Mead is believed to have magical powers of fertility and virility!  A perfect end to a great 3 days, we loved Ireland and its friendly people!

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.