Existing Member?

Round the world in 7 months How will you know, if you never go?

Turkey

TURKEY | Monday, 8 June 2009 | Views [1110]

Abe, Ang & Georgia at Chunuk Blair, the NZ memorial at Gallipoli (a fellow kiwi kindly let us borrow his flag for this photo)

Abe, Ang & Georgia at Chunuk Blair, the NZ memorial at Gallipoli (a fellow kiwi kindly let us borrow his flag for this photo)

There was a lot that Georgia, Abe and I wanted to see in Turkey, and we only had 11 days in which to do it all!  We were on a tight but well planned schedule… let the Amazing Race of Turkey begin!

 

Bodrum

 

After passing through passport control and buying some cheap duty free Absolut vodka, we set off to find our accommodation, and did so with the help of numerous friendly locals along the way.  Our Pension was very cute, with a nice courtyard, trees and seats which would be perfect for drinking beer later on.  We stayed only one night in Bodrum as we were heading up to Kusadasi on an early bus the next day, which is unfortunate as Bodrum seemed like a nice town.  We had lunch at a restaurant on the water and an awesome dinner at a place just opposite our accommodation.  The theme in Turkey is definitely MEAT!  And we discovered Turkish beer, Efes – very nice!

 

Kusadasi/Selcuk/Ephesus

 

On our second day we caught a bus to Soke and a minibus on to Kusadasi.  It was there that the mix-up started!  Our hostel in Kusadasi had rung Georgia and said to make sure we get dropped in Kusadasi central, not on the outskirts.  Somehow there was a mix-up in communication and we ended up on a minibus that took us to Selcuk (about 20km from our accommodation but only 3km from Ephesus), which sounds very similar to central when pronounced correctly!  The driver offered to take us back for free, but then a guy called Michael offered to store our bags in his bus ticket shop while we went to Ephesus.  That seemed like a much better plan!  As soon as all the guys at the bus stop found out we were kiwis they fell over themselves trying to help us, calling out “kia ora!” – it’s nice to know we are so well liked as a nation!

 

Michael gave us a driver, Enis, who took us to Ephesus and lent us his book on the place while we walked around, and then picked us up again when we were finished.  Ephesus was AMAZING!  It really is very well preserved, and we wandered through for about 2 hours.  I think our favourite were the terraced houses, which had amazing mosaics, wall paintings, etc.  In one area they were putting together a giant jigsaw puzzle of marble that had lined the walls of the marble hall and broken off and buried during an earthquake.  Even the latrine plumbing was still preserved!  Of course we also visited the public latrines and took photos while sitting on them!

 

After Ephesus, Enis took us to see his brothers Van cats (quite famous type of cat with different coloured eyes that like swimming in water!) and carpet shop (we didn’t buy, but he was fine with that which is a nice change from Asia!), and then pointed us towards a good place for lunch.  Finally we picked up our bags from Michael, bought a bus ticket for the next day and got on a minibus to Kusadasi.  We finally arrived at our accommodation around 6pm and got a free welcome drink and the offer of a bbq dinner at the rooftop restaurant/bar.  We shared excellent food with some fellow kiwis and aussies, and then smoked apple water pipe and drank Raki (similar to Ouzo, with a disgusting aniseed flavour).  The guys at the hostel tried to convince us to go out partying, but we had to get another bus the next morning out to Pamukkale so we declined.  All in all in was a totally unplanned but awesome adventurous day!  Turkish people are extremely friendly and only too happy to help.

 

Pamukkale

 

And we’re off again… the bus to Pamukkale took about 4 hours, we arrived just after midday.  We dumped our bags in the room and headed out for lunch, eating spinach and cheese Gozleme (like a pancake) and Turkish coffee, yum!  And then we headed for Pamukkale’s main attraction, the Travertines, which are deposits of calcium carbonate that have precipitated out of mineral water and formed in terraces (similar to NZ’s pink and white terraces before they were destroyed by the Tarawera eruption).  We had heard from numerous sources that the Travertines are not as spectacular as they used to be (apparently they used to have lots of water cascading over them) as much of the water has been diverted now.  What we found was better than expected, there is still a lot of water in places, and they still look amazing!  We walked up, taking lots of photos, and then headed straight for the thermal pool.  The thermal pool is pretty amazing, it is littered with old Roman columns that are thought to have fallen into the pool during an earthquake in the 7th century AD.  The water is also full of minerals and is supposed to have numerous medicinal benefits.  At a comfortable 35-36°C we stayed in for over an hour and were feeling very relaxed!  Surrounding the Travertines is also the ancient town of Hierapolis, but we didn’t really have much time to see these ruins.  We were happy to have just seen the Travertines and swum in the thermal pool!

 

Olympos

 

The following day we headed off on a bus to Olympos, a small town on the south coast well known for the Chimera (eternal flame), beautiful beach and ancient ruins.  After a 7 hour bus ride we checked into our accommodation in treehouses!  Kadir’s Treehouses are pretty cool, each one has a theme (ours was The Simpsons, and there was even a Jandal Whare!).  The place is backpacker heaven, with breakfast and dinner included (really good food!), a bar/nightclub that is open til very late (or early depending on how you look at it), and lots of activities available (sea kayaking, rock climbing, canyoning, etc.).

 

That night we headed off to the Chimera, which is not one but several flames that have been constantly burning for thousands of years, fuelled by natural gas seeping out of the rock – very cool indeed and an amazing sight to behold!  The Olympic torch today is a symbol of Chimera’s eternal flame.

 

The following day was mainly a rest day, we just had to be in Antalya that evening to catch an overnight bus to Cappadocia.  We spent some time at the beach and wandering through the ancient ruins of Olympos.  Thinking we had plenty of time, we caught the shuttle bus up to the main highway to get a bus to Antalya, only to see several buses pass us by because they were full!  We hadn’t counted on Friday evening being so popular…  just when it seemed like we might not make it, a bus pulled in with one seat left, so we begged and pleaded with the driver to let us squeeze in (standing room only folks!), showing him our overnight bus ticket.  In the end he agreed and we were off!  We made the overnight bus with only 15 minutes to spare, phew!  It wouldn’t be an amazing race without some tight travel connections!!

 

Cappadocia

 

On the overnight bus we awoke to a completely different world.  As our bus descended into the town of Goreme we were amazed by the sight of huge pinnacles and houses built into the cliff faces (including our hotel room!).  We were booked on a tour that day, where we found out that the area is all volcanic basalt, andesite and tuff.  We visited the Goreme Open Air Museum, various other sights around the area, had an amazingly yummy buffet lunch, visited a pottery place and finally a carpet shop where they showed us the different types of Turkish carpet and how they are made.  Georgia got talking to one of the salesmen and found out his wife is from Perth!  After he found out that we live there he invited us over for dinner the following night – you can’t beat Turkish hospitality!

 

The following day we were on another tour, which took us to an old monastery built into the hillside, a walk through the Ilhara Valley (very pretty and green, with all the flowers in bloom), and to a large underground city which was in use about  2000 years ago.  The city was amazing, with narrow tunnels leading to living areas, a school, church, stables, and ventilation shafts!  That night we had dinner with Georgia’s new friend and his wife (from Perth) and their two children (very cute!).  It was awesome to be welcomed into their home and have some ‘family time’ after staying in guesthouses and backpackers for 3 months, we almost felt like we had come home!

 

Our last day in Cappadocia was a rest day, where we spent some time on the net, ate food and played backgammon.  Our only commitment that day was to make it to the bus station in time to catch another overnight bus to Istanbul – thankfully we made this one without any dramas!

 

Istanbul

 

We arrived in Istanbul around 7am to the hugest bus station I have ever seen!  A short minibus ride later we were in the tourist district and trying to check in to our hotel which supposedly had 24 hour check-in but the doors were locked and no one was there!  Luckily someone with a mobile phone called them and they opened up for us… obviously this is a night city!  We dumped our bags and set off on a mission – Agia Sofia, the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, the hammam (Turkish baths), and booking a trip to Gallipoli and Troy for the following day.  Tick, tick, tick, tick and tick!  What a day… the Blue Mosque and Agia Sofia were amazing; the Grand Bazaar was HUGE and Georgia and I bought some funky hats for Glastonbury; I got scrubbed from neck to toe by old Turkish ladies at the hammam (Abe opted out of this experience, I’m not sure being in a room full of naked men appealed much); and we found out that the only way we could do Gallipoli and Troy in the same day was to take a midnight bus that arrives into Cannakale at 6am, do a Troy tour in the morning and then Gallipoli in the afternoon, taking a bus back to Istanbul arriving at midnight – it was the ultimate 24 hour mission… the decision?  Let’s do it!!

 

Troy and Gallipoli

 

One overnight bus later we met up with our tour group in Cannakale to the west of Istanbul, and headed for the ancient city of Troy.  The main initial attraction at Troy is a full sized fake Trojan horse that you can climb up into – ah, the tourists were loving it!  The city itself is not as well preserved as others we had seen, but the most interesting thing was that it has up to 9 “layers”, each one representing different stages of city construction between about 3000 BC and 500 AD!

 

After lunch we headed for Gallipoli.  In total we visited about nine sites, the most memorable of which were Anzac Cove, Lone Pine (the Australian memorial and cemetary) and Chunuk Bair (the NZ memorial).  Being such a beautiful sunny day it was at first hard to imagine what it would have been like for the soldiers fighting here for nine months in 1915, and even harder to believe that so many people lost their lives.  But looking at all the memorials and gravestones, museum artefacts (including letters that soldiers wrote to home), wandering through old trenches, and hearing about the stories from that time brought it all to life and the afternoon ended up being quite a humbling and emotional experience.  And a fitting end to the Amazing Race of Turkey.

 

Another bus ride later we ended up in Istanbul shortly before midnight before collapsing into bed.  The following day Abe and I headed for the airport to catch a flight to London and then on to Croatia, while Georgia had another day in Turkey before she was due to fly to Vienna.  What an unforgettable Amazing Race!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.