Existing Member?

Round the world in 7 months How will you know, if you never go?

Luang Nam Tha

LAOS | Tuesday, 31 March 2009 | Views [2110] | Comments [2]

Our trekking group

Our trekking group

We have just come back from a 3 day trek in the jungle near Luang Nam Tha, which was awesome, we had a fantastic time! We went with Green Discovery, and there were 8 in the group as well as four or five guides (some from the local hill tribe villages). As well as us there were 3 aussies (Tash and Adam from Brisbane and Martin from Sydney), an English couple (Jav and Emma) and Claus from Germany - - such a cool group of people and we all got on really well, thanks guys for making it a really enjoyable and memorable trip! It truly was a jungle trek, and a spectacular thunderstorm the night before we left meant that parts were a bit wet and slippery, and the rainy season is not far off! We had to contend with lots of hills (good practice for Nepal!), leeches ticks and mosquitoes (although thankfully not too many), a tiny snake, spiders, frogs, a freshwater crab, ants, bees, buffalo and a couple of resident rats at the hut on the 2nd night. The flora was beautiful, with thick green jungle in the gullies and some amazing bamboo higher up in the drier areas. Our guides were great and set a really good pace, stopping many times to show us all the different uses for plants in the jungle – a flower that tastes hot like pepper, wild rhubarb (very sour!), mint, cardamon, something that looks like potato but is apparently much harder to cook, a bright red coloured root that is used to dye clothing, the bark of a certain tree that is used as a cure for diarrhoea, a really hot bitter tasting vegetable that we ate for dinner on the first night, and a type of reed that we also ate. The food was awesome, with sticky rice being the staple for every meal, as well as yummy vegetables and soups, some with buffalo meat. On the last day we ended the trek at a village of the Akha hill tribe people who were wearing traditional dress, and we all bought bracelets adorned with beads and seeds. After arriving back yesterday afternoon I had a traditional Lao massage, which wasn’t exactly relaxing but did wonders for my tired muscles! We then met up with the others guys in the trekking group for dinner and Beer Lao, which we had all been dreaming about on the last day of the trek!

Comments

1

Hey Guys,
Sounds like you are having an awesome (and adventurous) time. Not much news from Melbourne - wishing I could be travelling with you two!
Take care and have fun..

  Tigger Apr 1, 2009 9:19 AM

2

Hey Ang, great summary of an awesome trek. It was great to meet up with you both and we hope to catch up you again in the not too distant future. All the best for the next leg of your amazing journey! xox

  Tash Apr 5, 2009 5:45 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.