Existing Member?

Around the World in 210 Days

Final Thoughts on Ireland!!!

IRELAND | Monday, 24 September 2007 | Views [1598] | Comments [8]

Well tomorrow we are leaving the great Green that is Ireland. Today we went to Howth to the most beautiful peninsula, it was really stunning. We walked and walked, and walked some more, just when I started thinking we were walking back to Dublin (it was 20 km) we found a little old lady that was practically running circles around us, she stopped on her second lap and told us how to get back to the mainland. Andrew wanted to try some traditional irish fare, but sense we were in a shipping port, their traditional fare was all fish-like, as well as being pretty pricey. The raising Euro is definitely raising our costs, but we are thinking that travelers always look gaunt and it is a look that we could master and possibly pull off. Anyway we rode back into Dublin, and we took tons of really beautiful pictures that I will post once we get somewhere with a reliable connection, hopefully in France. We will also try to get a skype number so that we can talk to you peoples.

So here are the top list of things that anyone traveling to Ireland should know.

1) It is freaking cold here….bring a jacket, bring a sweater, and bring a warm towel.

2) Ireland is possibly the most expensive city in all of Europe, so fill the pockets of that wee jacket up with lots of Euro’s—the dollar doesn’t go far.

3) The toilets do not like Americans, they do not flush, do not take it personally, be thankful they have toilet paper.

4) Guinness is what they have in pubs, Guinness is what they drink in pubs, if you drink in pubs, you should drink Guinness.5)If you ask for water at Mc Donalds, they will give you water straight from the tap they use to wash dishes.

5) If you ask for water in a pub, they will try to sell you a bottle which will look very pretty, but will cost almost what a Guinness will cost.

6) Hostels are not for those who have trouble sleeping—hostels are not for those who don’t like watching sports (by sports I mean rugby and soccer, I do not mean baseball or football), and by all means heed this….hostels are not for those who do not like foreigners!!!

We had a wonderful time in Ireland. Dublin is a city that is easy to get a hold on, the public transport is really pretty cheap, the views nearby are gorgeous, and there are enough free museums to make up for the nights you spent in temple bar, the people are great, and they speak English.. It is and was a great jumping off point.

-Alex

More Final Thoughts….?!

Alex did not exactly explain how much walking we did. Like, a LOT of it. We took a cliff path that went around the entire peninsula, past two lighthouses, and over many, many uphill steps and paths. My legs are still throbbing. Anyhow, the other thing she did not mention is that we did find our authentic Irish food, fittingly the last meal of our time here, at a pub called “the Hairy Lemon” back in Dublin. I don’t know why it’s called that, but the cover of the menu talked of a hairy man that had yellow skin. Anyhow, Alex ordered the not-so-Irish bruscetta, and I got the “Dublin Coddle.” Or was it cottle? Well, it sounded weird, but was a stew of bacon, sausage, potatoes and carrots. It came with a baked potato and brown bread—VERY Irish. The stew is Irish, the potato, obviously Irish, but I never knew of this but these Irish love brown bread. It’s like American wheat bread, if you took seven or eight slices, smashed them down into a single slice, and then dehydrated the new super-slice. Topped with oats. The stew had what Alex referred to as pale Vienna sausages. Gross description, but the stew was good. And we had it all with a pint (as Alex mentioned, a pint in a pub = a Guinness).


So here are a few more things that anyone traveling to Ireland should know:

8) No they didn’t spray graffiti on those sheep’s wool, that’s their version of branding them.

9) And even if you wanted to spray paint a sheep, they don’t like to be petted, let alone vandalized.

10) No, they aren’t dyslexic… they actually spell centre that way.

11) And finally, despite what you may have been told, there are no leprechauns in Ireland. Unless you count the masks that the noisy foreign kids buy at the gift shops.


So Ireland was fantastic, and we are very excited about the Paris. According to the Parisian guy that beat me in three consecutive games of foosball the other night (they call it babyfoot), “Eez a nize plaze.”

-Andrew

Tags: Work

 

Comments

1

If only I had some visual to get a fix on where you are.
If only there was a photographer in the family.
I need pictures or it didn't happen.
For all I know you could be emailing wonderful stories from a cabin in southwest New Mexico.

We sure are missing Alex.

  Rrrricardo Sep 26, 2007 2:26 AM

2

Although I love the list you gave, I do have a few questions. (and don't try to use kilometers just to make it seem like you walked longer that you really did)

1. Shan, I do believe you were cold in Arizona in the middle of summer. (at night, of course, but still sister!) Therefore, any temp. measurements by you, not accurate at all.

2. Really? Ireland is the most expensive CITY....hmmm... for being a world traveler, not so good with the geography, are we?

3. Really, Ireland has enough crap from the US, they don't need you to add to it.

And finally, I think that you should fully embrace European culture and ask for a Corona the next time you're in a pub.

Love you

Where's my postcard?

  dal Sep 26, 2007 9:34 AM

3

ooooooh Dallas! Oh no you dih ent!

Well I bet you get a response so it will be worth it.

But they are probably watching "Le Scrubs" right now.

Get them to tell you about how the French charge you for using a shopping cart and charge you for the sacks to put your groceries in. That is what Andrew is claiming anyway. Oh yeah, that reminds me...my wife says I have to say that I sure am missing Andrew too.

  Rrrricardo Sep 26, 2007 9:52 AM

4

All I want to know is do they eat Lucky Charms.

  Spanky Sep 26, 2007 1:11 PM

5

Is there no way to have your money transferred now to Euros? That way, whether the Euro goes up or down doesn't matter to your final costs, except if the Euro gets more valuable compared to the dollar, you make money in the end!

But I'm not sure what sort of institution you'd use. I imagine foreign banks require some sort of proof of address.

I kept my Japanese bank account open when I left Japan. It'll be there for $lastDateIUsedIt + 10years

But yeah, sounds like yall are having a fun time.

Also SkypeIn is great if you have people wanting to call you. It comes with free voicemail and it's only 30 euros per year (10 euros for 3 months).

SkypeOut is good for calling people. To call the US, it's something like .0000000001 cents per minute. Really, really cheap. I used both when I lived abroad. I actually think if you have both, you can set up call forwarding, and have calls when you're not signed onto a computer get forwarded to a cellphone, if you have a cellphone you're carrying around in Europe.

  Kyle Sep 26, 2007 1:30 PM

6

well i can keep up with 2 of my children through this sight now. dallas you need to go back to the other entries and put your spin on them too. annie where are you little one? andrew i can understand the leg issue i have traveled with shannon and the gal likes to walk and it seems it is uphill going and coming and by gosh you don't use the roads but uneven paths to add even more fun. for not liking beer i guess this is not the place for me to go and with the cost going up not your dads either. at least tell me do they have ice and do they keep the milk cold, spanky that will tell you if you really want the lucky charms. richard tell sandy we all know you miss andrew but you truly miss shannon's wit and dry sense of humor and those oh so special rolls of the eyes and that small movement of lips that could pass for a smile but we do know is a grimace to our radical way of thinking, uncanny how we come to love the look and try very hard to coax it from her. it truly is not safe to assume that cold to shannon and andrew is even on the scale of the normal person when they would wear jackets in the castle all summer, and as for warm towels i did have 9 of them draped on a chair in your room but alas they have gone to a better place. if any of you figure out how to call them with the number given please let us know as when we try we are told it is not a valid number so maybe they are in a cabin in new mexico so the international number can't work hmmmmmmmm? love to you both and miss you both tigger and coco send their love and andrew coco looks with longing at the spray bottle wishing it were you on the trigger. mom

  mardi Sep 27, 2007 2:22 AM

7

What is all the whinning about the walking. When I was a kid I had to walk 10 miles to and from school up hill both ways in at least a foot of snow and that was in 120 degree heat in the middle of the summer just to get to where we kept the horses so we could ride another 15 miles to the bus stop. (also there are leprecons in Ireland, but they talk to the sheep, so I don't suspect they would be willing to make themselves visible to you) And Andrew, Naa means naa.

  luther parker Hinesly Sep 27, 2007 4:28 AM

8

I won't even try to match wits with Martha or half-wits with Luther but want you to know we are enjoying following your travels, so thanks to your mom & dad for forwarding your emails to us. Had a great meal and visit but missed having you there. Hope you continue to have a safe and exciting trip and we look forward to further installments of your adventures.

M & N

  Mike & Nancye Briggs Sep 27, 2007 12:31 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.