Existing Member?

My Asia I fell in love with Cambodia in 2002. I am fortunate enough to now be able to enjoy regular trips. I hope you enjoy following me and that the information is useful to some!

Bagan, Bargan, Bogan - whatever, we loved you.

MYANMAR | Thursday, 4 July 2013 | Views [1221]

Arrived bright and early in Bagan on Air Mandalay and l will do a separate storey on internal flights in this country. 

Decided to taxi it in a car to the temples, other options are horse and cart and push bikes. I was pleased with this choice as l think we managed a lot more temples this way. 

I cannot tell you all of the ones we saw, but do know that they are spectacular, mostly only on the outside, a few were gorgeous inside, but mostly they took on the same lay out inside, a giant Buddha and passage ways.    

Ananda Pahto, Nagayon, Gubyaukgi, Lawkahteikpan Pahto, Abeyandana Pahto, Ananda Ok Kyaung and just so many more. An unbelievably amazing Tour of these temples, sunset from a white temple ( you cannot get up into many of these temples) with only about 50 other tourists, not the 100's that are at Angkor. Just stunning. 

The rest of our time in Bagan we spent eating, sipping ccocktails by the stunning pool at Amazing Bagan Resort, we rode push bikes to Nyaung U to Old Bagan and onto Myinkaba the lacquerware village ( that was a mammoth day). We taxi'd into Nyaung U for dinner most nights (3 nights). And did a day trip to Mount Popa, stopping at the sugar palm toddy stalls along the way for a taste of the whiskey and wine! Bloody rough and burnt all the way down! Mt Popa, it stunning to look at but full of stinking monkago. If you go, do not have anything on you that they can,pinch, hats, water bottles sunglasses, as they will jump you and take them, dangle them in front of you and the monkey food sellers will charge you to throw food at the, to get your belongings back! They took Bruce's hat! We learnt the hard way!  

We loved Bagan and its temples, it's laid backness,it is dusty and dry and spread out, and l would stay either Nyaung U or Old Bagan, both areas are good. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.