Existing Member?

My Asia I fell in love with Cambodia in 2002. I am fortunate enough to now be able to enjoy regular trips. I hope you enjoy following me and that the information is useful to some!

Bye bye Yangon

MYANMAR | Friday, 28 June 2013 | Views [827]

Yangon has been not what we expected, not sure what we expected ( a few more palm trees) but it was'nt this gridlocked, trying to be modern but still wearing longi's city! So many contrasts and clashes. 

The area we stayed in was out of the main part of the city,  Golden Valley. On one hand l think I'd liked to have been closer to town but then we would not have seen so much, as every taxi driver took us and got us lost a different way! Whew would not have seen so many of the amazing colonial buildings, and there are plenty and they are truly incredible and HUGE! Those British certainly put in good foundations here, pity how things changed so drastically once the Myanmar people took the country back. 

If visiting, prepare to spend a lot of time sitting in traffic jams, a bit like Bangkok was over 20 years ago, with bus's so packed people hang off the back or sit on top and then the landcruisers and prado's go whizZing by. 

We ate at Le Planteurs! Holy Crap! Monsoon - great curries, Sabai Sabai - fantastic Thai food, Alamanda Inn - nice French food and some road side stalls and tea houses. There are plenty of options, you will not starbe here. There is not much of a bar scene and the town closes early.

Yangon ites are quiet people, they do not live their life in the streets as a lot of Asain countries seem too, they are polite, quiet and keep to themselves. 

We have loved this town and already want to come back, I am sure that things will change very quickly here. 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.