Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Frustration – AHH – Why am I not achieving more – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 31 March 2015 | Views [595] | Comments [2]

Frustration that everything I have planned to do isn’t happening as quickly as I would like it to, who can relate to that?

Frustration in what has probably been the most trying week of my working career; I have been feeling poorly again. No great surprise due to the sheer amount of effort everyone was putting in to achieve the targets, coupled with the pressure everyone was under. A topic familiar with many of my clients, all who are business owners who feel these pressures all too often.

Realisation that the working hours and the amount of effort combined to create stress as we all headed towards this major deadline which really had taken over my life. I hadn’t looked after myself (again), putting clients and work first, without realising the effect this was having on my health and my family. Frustratingly, this was not for the first time recently – but still I continued to do the same thing again.

No time to enjoy my family life. Every day was about survival. All I could do was get up, work, feel rubbish, go to bed.

Thoughts included what happens if this happens when I am climbing Kilimanjaro? How will I cope and what will I do?

Frustration came from not being able to go out and do any training, not being able to do anything other than work, driving my tiredness to the point when I dictated this blog to my phone whilst in the car between meetings. And that simple action helped to alleviate the frustration!

 

So although I still worry about what happens if I don’t make the summit, somehow this simple action of communicating my feelings has helped me to make sense of it, and work my way through. As one of our clients said to a colleague of mine “sometimes the only way through, is through!”.

Anybody able to relate to this?  

I also heard about Hope Again. Hope Again is the youth website of Cruse Bereavement Care. It is a safe place, where young people who are facing grief can share their stories with others. Please have a look at http://hopeagain.org.uk/ where you will find information about their services, a listening ear from other young people, and advice for anyone dealing with the loss of a loved one.

Hope Again provides somewhere to turn to when someone dies.

So, after last week’s good plans, did I join the gym? No. Am I even more committed to raising funds for Cruse Bereavement Care in Somerset? YES

If you would like to sponsor me, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/

All sponsorship is going straight to Somerset Area Cruse Bereavement Care in Street, Somerset. Currently I have made 34% of the target, any sponsorship much appreciated.

 

Thank You

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, hard work, killimanjaro, panic, panic, summit, trekking

Comments

1

Hi Tony , I know exactly what you mean , trying to juggle family , work and training , I am also due to climb Killi on the 26 of sept , cant stand the guilt of (A) not training and (B)going training tends to frustrate i have 2 small kids and miss my time with them , The fear of not summiting is never far from my mind but it also drives me on , great blog

  Brian Payne May 19, 2015 6:56 PM

2

Thanks Brian, great to know it's not just me. I am always juggling, tending to try to train when I know the families asleep, or to try to involved them. Latest one is a big hilly walk and meeting them at the pub for lunch. The fear as you say is what means I need to be as prepared as I can be! Good luck, am blogging every week so please let me know how you are getting on!cheers tony

  Tony mattravers May 25, 2015 5:13 PM

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.