Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

The body

CAMBODIA | Monday, 11 February 2013 | Views [135]

Oh how my body aches as my right foot is out of action. Muscles that I have never had to depend on before are screaming out in pain with the load they are now bearing. My eyes are quick to fill with water and spill over. When I’m awake I’m always feeling fatigued yet when I attempt sleep I find it hard to shut off the discomfort and find the rest I crave. Yes, my whole body is moved by the effects of my accident. I just wish my stomach and head were less sympathetic with their contributions while my body struggles, repairs and heals.

During this mornings quiet time I was directed to 1 Corinthians 12 and I abidingly looked up the passage on my laptop unaware of the hidden pearls that were to be discovered.

The way God designed our bodies is a model for understanding our lives together as a church: every part dependent on every other part, the parts we mention and the parts we don’t, the parts we see and the parts we don’t. If one part hurts, every other part is involved in the hurt, and in the healing. If one part flourishes, every other part enters into the exuberance.” 1 Corinthians 12:25-26 (The Message)

This has never meant more to me than it does right now. That fitting picture of God’s family – the Church – with each member having a vital role and position with in the body. What came to my heart was the desire that the parts of this church would awaken to whom they are called to be. That they could rest in the knowledge of their part with complete peace and assurance so they may together wholeheartedly serve. Just imagine what could be achieved by this body by the power of God!

From reflecting on this I thought of three things that hinder us from fulfilling this calling of being a working body of believers.

* Our quickness to make comparisons with other Christians, belittling our role and idolizing another.

* Our pride that prevents us from showing weakness, asking or even accepting help. Christians get caught up in their own stubbornness to hit all hint of frailty and press forward in determination to do it alone.

* Our fear of the inability to actually achieve something because the task seems so big.

If only Christians served less as individuals and more as a united unit that is truly supportive, interconnected, investing into each other, working in collaboration and with hearts ready to be moved by God! Imagine how much Christ would be lifted up and glorified in that! Just picture what miracles we would see, lives transformed and prayers answers if this could actually be a living reality in the Christian family!

Maybe it’s time to stop dreaming about God’s vision for the church and start being...

Tags: challenges, lessons along the way

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.