Existing Member?

a light in Cambodia

A trip down tailor lane

CAMBODIA | Friday, 5 August 2011 | Views [300]

Getting clothes made in Cambodia can quickly become an addiction with various stores stocking colourful supplies of fabrics sitting there just begging to be made into new items to be added to the wardrobe.

The process of going to a tailor is not too complicated. With some of the birthday money I was generously given by my parents for my birthday it was just a hop, skip and a jump down to the markets to find my regular fabric store and to select cottons for styling into shirts. Then the bartering began….”How much per metre?”---“Oh too much!”---“ This is a good price”--- “Oh still too much, I like this but not the price”---“If I buy many can you give me a good price?”, and so on goes the friendly polite exchange of the shopping experience.

I was able to find five different fabrics that I liked, so after purchasing these it was time to zig zag my way though the crowded market to the aisle of tailor shops.

My regular tailor greeted me with a smile as I proceeded to show her the shirt I wished to have coped and laid the fabrics out for her to examine. She issued me with a receipt, saying it should be ready within a week and I was able to move along to enjoy the rest of my day.

The type of sewing machine commonly seen at the tailor's store.

Maybe getting the same shirt copied five times is a bit excessive (especially since I already have three sitting happily in my cupboard) but this style suits me and once you find something that works you shouldn’t mess with it – right? If anyone has some ideas for new designs I should try then let me know, I think my tailor is getting tired or making the same same shirt J

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.