Existing Member?

The Big O.E An epic adventure across the world, backpacker style :)

What Goes on Indian Roads

INDIA | Monday, 12 March 2007 | Views [2058] | Comments [1]

Woven Blankets, Jaisalmer

Woven Blankets, Jaisalmer

So to date, we have seen and driven among the following things on the tiny little smelly dirty noisy hazardous roads of India:

cars

goats

buses

cows

cycles

camels

auto-rickshaws

tuk tuks

cycle-rickshaws

dogs

trucks

holy men

scooters

beggars

even elephants!!!

It certainly takes a bit of getting used to, hooning as fast as humanly possible down streets where you just can't tell which way the traffic should be going, loudest horn gives right of way, dodging women with enormous loads on their heads and sometimes running over goat hooves. Bit of a shock to hurtle round a corner straight into an elephant...

Moved on from the gorgeous little fortified city of Jaisalmer to the heart of the Thar desert (about 100kms from Pakistan). Spent a magical evening on a camel safari. Had a bonfire and ate spicy food, watched the tribal dancing and heard the singing. Fell asleep under the most starry sky in complete silence apart from the wind blowing - just spectacular.

Very long bus ride to Jodhpur (where the horse riding pants come from). Not so impressed with this city - just a more intense version of all the dirt/smell/rubbish that was in Delhi. Think walking along the street being harassed by kids, avoiding cow pee (and worse), dodging cows covered in flies...

Despite this, the Mehengarh Fort from the 14th century was pretty cool to explore. Then it was another long bus ride (imagine 4 wheel driving through mountainous desert on a bus that had seen better days in the late 1970s..) to Udaipur, still in Rajasthan (the land of kings).

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

Wow! Your India adventures sound awesome. We'll have to make it one day but for now we'll have to content ourselves with only one half of Asia :-)

  Sean and Adrienne Mar 18, 2007 8:30 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.