Existing Member?

Red Shoe Diary

GALAPAGOS!

ECUADOR | Friday, 18 November 2011 | Views [533]

If you ever get the opportunity to go to the Galapagos, then do it! And get to understand what lead to Darwin's famous theory.  We did an 8 day trip on a catamaran and visited some 6 islands, seeing totally different geographies and the animlas that survive upon them. We saw some incredibly weird animals, the iguanas, both land and sea as well as birds with blue feet - now why would that help in the whole survival of the fittest business? And why would you call a bird a 'booby'?  The sea lions have evolved differently to their brothers further south and their survival is at risk but not as dramatically so as the land inguanas and the giant tortoises, both of whom are being bred at the Charles Darwin Research Centre as an attempt to guarantee their survival.  To this end, the authorities of Galapagos are also eradicating the invasive mammals and plants on several of the islands before they reintroduce the natural ones to their habitat. You would not want to be a goat on Galapagos!

About zapatosrojos


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.