Existing Member?

Red Shoe Diary

Panecilla

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 12 October 2011 | Views [353]

Sunday dawned bright and early and mama and papa prepared for church. After some confusion, whereby mama thought we were also coming to church and looked somewhat shocked that we were not, it was decided that we would go the Panecilla hill which holds the statue of Mary overlooking Quito. Papa was in true Shumaucher mode as went through the suburbs of Quito joining the hundreds of others also heading for Panecilla. The statue is made of aluminium and is one of the seven wonders of Ecuador, depicting Mary stepping on a serpant and holding her hand up in blessing over Quito. At the base there is a mini museum showing pictures of construction and giving information about the people involved in making it all happen. Richito was in true David Bailey mode capturing the Madonna from many angles, looking for shadow and light, adjusting his settings like a mad man when  Mama kindly offered to take our picture with the Madonna; it is going to be a favourite of mine forever more as it beautifully captures, in focus, our chests, bellies, groin and thighs, nothing else. Richito did a great job keeping a straight face; I didn't see the picture till later and it brought tears to my eyes.

About zapatosrojos


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.