Existing Member?

Graduated, Gone, Garbage Not a travel journal per se, just something to record ideas, thoughts and photo's for anyone interested.

It's a SLOWlife afterall

VIETNAM | Saturday, 7 March 2009 | Views [454]

Is it that much of a SLOWLIFE? I’m in Nha Trang on assignment. Yes I’m staying in five-star luxury, in a room fit for Napoleon, but I’m feeling more like dynamite than dynasty.

Having spent a day discovering just how the Six Senses Ana Mandara resort has seized on its company philosophy  (or repackaged marketing ploy) of S.L.O.W.L.I.F.E (Sustainable, Local, Organic, Wholesome, Learning, Inspiring, Fun, Exciting), I’m beginning to beg: “slow the fuck down”.

Having arrived in style after a 6.05am departure from HCMC after a 16-hour weekend of screaming at kids, I was expecting a gentle day relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Denied a sleeping space until 12.30pm, I was shown the breakfast buffet. That was OK by me, until being confronted by the mumbling Geordie and pontificating Frenchman that called themselves hotel management. “We’ve arranged an all day tour for you now and tomorrow you will wake at 5am to catch the local market in full swing”. Five in the morning? Come again?

The all day tour was like dying slowly from a testicular aneurysm. I found interesting the noodle, conical hat, mat and rice paper making – what I didn’t savour was how our tour guide took on the role of the psychopath from the film Seven forcing me to stuff my face at the lunchtime buffet. Nor did I enjoy his insistence that I try chon – weasel-regurgitated coffee.

Having got through that I’m now off to… yep, you guessed it - eat again. If my gut explodes before I return please return my lower intestine to the postmark below:

Xuan,

Please Don’t Take Offense

Vietnam,

Forever

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.