Existing Member?

Graduated, Gone, Garbage Not a travel journal per se, just something to record ideas, thoughts and photo's for anyone interested.

Things that time - but not Vietnam - forgot

VIETNAM | Sunday, 1 March 2009 | Views [656]

Vietnam, that aching wound of a country, saps in the rot and garbage from elsewhere. Here those very things that outgrew their novelty back home live on in a second life of endearment and idolization. It’s like an early 90s school disco you’re doomed never to forget – where all the boys wear shades and the girls get wet to the sound of Cotton Eye Joe. I’m just waiting for John Fashanu and The Wolf from Gladiators to come out of the woodwork and warm up the bloodthirsty crowds. Here they are - the top five unforgivable sins of this nation.

1.       Backstreet Boys, Boyzone, Take That and more

-          The radio and stereo systems of the country are clearly stuck in a transistor-like time warp unable to shift away from the suicide enticing sounds of 90’s pop. Forget what John Lennon said, here the Backstreet Boys are bigger than Jesus. Revealing a taste in them is also cool. What the fuck is this - a parallel universe? Ronan Keating can slurp up my entrails from the nearest abattoir.

2.       Mr Bean

-          Mr Bean is at the pinnacle of slapstick humour, which is just about the most these straight edged people can handle. Forget inward looking, sardonic comedy – these guys want the cheap thrills variety, the kind where Mr Bean talks to a teddy and enters it at Crufts. They dig that shit like its Chris Morris boundary pushing fare.

3.       Tin Tin

-          Tin Tin in Saigon, Tin Tin and Snowy on holiday in Hanoi, Tin Tin takes on the Khmer Rouge – what the hell? Tin Tin plasters everything: badges, T-shirts, posters, billboards – get your Tin Tin tampons everyone! There’s no end to his marketability. The Vietnamese are going to cream their pants when they finally get their hands on the upcoming Spielberg film, even if Bill Elliot is made to look like a Pixar man.

4.       Phlegm

-          There are strictly no taboo’s when it comes to orifice leakage above the neck in Vietnam. Noodles and pork lumps fly out of chomping mouths, ears are pounded on to squeeze out water and the sinus is raped and pillaged for all the catarrh it holds. Churning up a fat one is the norm; do on your bike, at home, in a restaurant, at the pool, anywhere. Just make sure there are at least thirty people in earshot of that grinding nasal whine. That’s the way to do it – real sly. Girls too.

 

 

Tags: annoying, backstreet boys, boyzone, cotton eye joe, irritation, phlegm, vietnam

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.