Existing Member?

Graduated, Gone, Garbage Not a travel journal per se, just something to record ideas, thoughts and photo's for anyone interested.

The Key is Covering Up My Dear...

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 9 December 2008 | Views [893] | Comments [2]

There is a trend in Vietnam. Largely followed to a tee by the nation’s hordes of young bike owning women. The trend in question? Covering up.

Vietnamese girls seem to go to extreme lengths to escape Mr Evil UV Ray. Hats, scarves, gloves reaching to the elbow, hoodies. Its 30C most days, it seems a tad insane. A bit of Nivea Sun would do the trick wouldn’t it girls?

Truth be told I feel sorry for them. As a Caucasian myself, albeit one that suffers in epidermal measures, I feel lucky. Apparently white is in. It’s a bit difficult to comprehend with a global history of white supremacy and oppression seemingly drawing to a close. I’ve heard of India’s aesthetic obsession with whiteness and purity, even Beyonce angered people with her apparent whiteness in some modeling shots a while back. I didn’t know it had permeated to Vietnam.

Not only is there societal pressure on girls to look white, but it there is also this idea that appearance is everything. Men can appear as slovenly and grotesque as they want in this country. Gender roles seem indeed both rigid and unfair.

Tags: caucasian, gender, patriarchy, roles, saigon, vietnam, white

Comments

1

in my defence of my own people, we know its gud to be afraid of the sun.u see people in deserts?they cover themselves up to avoid dehydration. same here tho i do agree some do it just for aesthetic reasons.

"Men can appear as slovenly and grotesque as they want in this country."==>mind u some people dress badly cause they're poor, why dressing up when u have 3 kids moaning for their school fees? and also lets have a look at what foreigners (ila teachers) wear ( to work)

FYI we've never met and i just came across ur blog.

  xuan to Mar 1, 2009 3:50 AM

2

Hell ! I can't get my 'Better Half' to even wear a helmet most of the time. Every day a 20 minute trip each way, - to and from work through the middle of HCMC - no helmet, and no other real not real protective clothing.
She drives me crazy with worry sometimes.
The traffic in HCMC does seem pretty easy to get through - unlike most 'western' countries, the Vietnamese bike riders here do show a lot of awareness of other bikes around them. Unfortunately car, truck and buses are not quite so careful. Gets worse out on the country roads and highways
Just wish I could get a larger bike - little 125cc putt - putt's are not what I'm used to riding. My Honda Gold Wing would be a real nightmare trying to thread through the city traffic but would be magic out of the city on weekends away.

  Flip Sep 5, 2010 11:47 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.