Existing Member?

Graduated, Gone, Garbage Not a travel journal per se, just something to record ideas, thoughts and photo's for anyone interested.

Pissing People Off With Postcards

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 5 November 2008 | Views [1123] | Comments [1]

Hoey wants a blowey. Use every last gesture in your mime catalogue to send em off back home.

Hoey wants a blowey. Use every last gesture in your mime catalogue to send em off back home.

Writing postcards is bloody difficult. “Hmm, let’s see, must write six weeks of experience in six sentences”. Will the erstwhile recipient even care?

In Saigon posting them is like a top secret government mission. First you have to haggle to the death with some conically hatted bint. Then you negotiate and confirm that you are paying the equivalent of ten English pence for a postcard with the image of a bound and gagged pig.  You write some naturally witty spiel. You make your way to the local PO.

But then….

Your local PO isn’t like a local PO at all. It’s a huge colonial remnant of Indochina and the architecturally splendiferous French.  You fight your way through hordes of tourists, seedy little souvenir sellers and motorbike taxi men with murderous eyes.  You get inside. But then there, piercing a thousand holes in your body with his eyes, is the eerie portrait of Mr Uncle Ho. Old Hoey’s shit-eating grin laughs at your tribulations as you desperately search through your mime catalogue to secure the simple task of purchasing stamps.

Now, the best thing about stamps is licking the back of the buggers. Even the most exacerbating post office session seemed almost enjoyable with this little event. Not in Vietnam. You have to glue the bastards with a brush and gluepot. You dollop on some glue, spend the next five minutes affixing the slippery stamp in place, then move on to the next.

Nice building to do your business though, thank you imperialism.

Check gallery to get what I mean:

"Posting Pretentiousness!"

Tags: ho chi minh post office, postcards, saigon, stamps, vietnam

Comments

1

...puts the red postbox of charming middle england right to shame...

what about the arduous toil that is selecting the postcard with the right sentiment? Does one play it safe with the familiar image of weathered faces in rice paddies, reassuring all at home that the Commies are enduring a back breaking existence or is it better to titilate the recipient with the image of a nice cyclo man going about his everday business with a flock of geese strapped to his rickshaw? Tough call, might want to play it safe with a bunch of bananas. Everyone loves a lady finger.

  Helen Nov 5, 2008 7:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.