Existing Member?

Graduated, Gone, Garbage Not a travel journal per se, just something to record ideas, thoughts and photo's for anyone interested.

Saigon: An Impression

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 4 November 2008 | Views [546]

Saigon is both ghastly and a wonderment. Motor horns pepper all hours of the day, fruit markets remain endless and its residents never tire of staring at that new foreign face. Life in a Goldfish bowl. One can, however, forgive its shortcomings and clear the moss and debris to reveal the beauty beneath.

Within some of its urban ugliness there lies such variety, such a contrast in wealth that it is easy to forget that it is a country of peasants and farmers. Dong Khoi (English: brave uprising) plays host to such elegance. Upon that street lie top gourmet restaurants serving Western fare - a far cry from the boiled cows heads and pig trotters served up on street stalls. Alongside those are skyscraping five star hotels (complete with rooftop pools), decadent bars and rows of fancy shops. Its meander down to the smelly and polluted Saigon River is a gentle journey showcasing the rapid development of South East Asia and the continued globalization of the world.

Elsewhere, District 7 and its sleepy American suburban look provides a sharp juxtaposition to the crowded noisy innards of District 1 and the backpacker area. Here long stretches of newly placed road remain empty, clean air can be breathed and high rise residential development expands before your very eyes.

However, in making the journey from centre to suburb across the myriad of bridges and treacherous road ways, lay the shacks and huts that visitors to Saigon so often skirt over in their usual visit of only a few days.  No running water, no electricity, boiling heat and bad sanitation. Not that those that live in these areas would ever let you know, smiling incessantly from days beginning to its wearying end. Elsewhere whole families sit out on the streets from dawn to dusk sleeping on make shift beds and touting their wares.

Vietnam makes it possible to waver between delight, enchantment, disgust and horror rapidly and often. It is a sensual feast, whether subjected to the seeping scummy smell of its sewers, or averting ones nose to the familiar fragrance of frying fish, beef or pork. The beauty of Saigon is not so much its aesthetic but the variety and the constant surprises it throws up. The best surprise of all is that every day you see something new, exciting and something seemingly a million miles from home.

Tags: district 1, district 7, saigon, vietnam

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.