Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

Mumbai (by Nick)

INDIA | Thursday, 1 November 2007 | Views [596]

We have had about 5 days in Mumbai and are off to Goa tomorrow on the sleeper train. We arrived at about 5am in the morning after only a 2.5hr flight from Dubai so did not have a very good nights sleep. We flew Jazeera Airways which certainly had cheap fares but was actually really good. We had a row of 3 seats each to sleep on and got a bit of a nap. We arrived with little hassle and wrangled with the Hotel Booking counter for a while and they could only offer us a room for about GBP30 a night! This was after some tooing and froeing (initally it was over 40 for the same hotel). We found our taxi and the driver was woken from his sleep to blast us into town. We ended up at our hotel -you would expect a 5star out here for that. But we were in the most over priced room in Mumbai - a construction site directly outside our room and in the corridor as well. A bit grotty too. Metal rebar being thrown around all day. After a catnap we wandered around and secured a similar room but 1/4 - 1/3 of the price for the next day. Things went pretty easy and we were suprised by the lack of hassles or beggars so far, but when they do approach they seem to smile if you do and leave us alone when told we are not interested. I seem to get a bit more attention because of the dreads, its all been positive and good though. They have wondering gurus here with dreaded hair and I guess wonder what a white tourist is doing here looking a bit like them.

More later....

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.