Existing Member?

Vagabonding Our time being 'of no fixed abode'.

Nara and Osaka

JAPAN | Monday, 22 October 2007 | Views [1531] | Comments [1]

The trains in Japan and reasonably easy to understand and relatively cheap so we took a day trip to nearby Nara. It bucketed down all day and we were soaked to the core by the time we got home. It was worth it though to visit Kohfukuji Temple Complex and Todai-ji Temple to see some great shrines, temples and to feed the deer. They can be quite forceful and are probably the only way you’ll get mugged in Japan!

We also did a day trip to Kyoto, to see another temple, covered in real gold! The gardens were nice too, very tranquil and at another temple we saw one of the best Zen gardens around (apparently).

All in all, Japan has been a great place to visit. The convenience stores have served as our kitchens with great sushi and the like for not very much money at all. We’ve eaten out several times as well and again, it’s not cost much. I love the vending machines with hot cans of coffee (or cold) and even vending machines for beer! We’ve had a few people try out their English on us and in each case their English was very good – they just lack confidence! One was an old guy on the train to Nara who said “English is universal, Japanese, only in Japan.”

It feels very safe here and the streets are very clean. People seem to conform but also not to conform – there are loads of people, particularly the young, who dress with distinctively individualistic style! It makes it much more interesting walking down the street or sitting on the train. They’re big into baseball and seem to be even bigger into dressing animals up – the number of poor animals we’ve seen wearing dresses etc. We even saw two dogs the other day in matching boys and girls outfits (the girl had a fluffy miniskirt on and the fur on her ears had been fluffed up and dyed orange!).

Well that’s a quick catch up before flying off to Dubai to visit Helen and then onto Mumbai, then hopefully to Goa for a ‘holiday’. We won’t have access to internet so readily so it could be a while before there are any more updates, we’ll see…

Tags: On the Road

 

Comments

1

Nice post. Great Eastern Temple is also called Todaiji. You can find regional Buddhist temples, head-office of the Kegon school of Buddhism in Japan. Nara Daibutsu or the Great Buddha of Nara, the statue was instated in the Great Buddha Hall or Daibutsuden. YOu can see the gigantic temple complex of Todaji.Two magnificent pagodas towering 100metres high that were the highest buildings globally during that time. Statue of the Great Buddha is made of an amalgamation of copper and bronze.

  Mack Aug 19, 2009 7:39 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.