Existing Member?

Where In The World

OK DELTA

BOTSWANA | Friday, 21 September 2007 | Views [4174]

Drifters OKAVANGA DELTA MOKOROS

Drifters OKAVANGA DELTA MOKOROS

The Okavango Delta is one of the world's largest inland water systems.  It can expand to over 16,000 square kilometres and plays a major role in supporting the area's wildlife and we had the opportunity to explore it on mokoro canoes. 

This little, hand-carved, wooden canoe sits you just above the waterline.  Any sudden movements and we'd be sinking to the bottom of the delta!  We folded our sleeping mats into a triangular shape which acted as a comfy chair with backrest.  We'd also piled into our canoe the tent and an overnight bag for we were camping in the wild!  Now our mokoro canoe wasn't like a regular canoe but more like the Venice gondola, complete with a driver who hummed songs.  Using just a giant wooden stick or pole we formed a single-file line and weaved our way through the aquatic plants.  Mandy and I were the lasat of the boats which was advantagous because we pulled back from the rest of the crowd and were able to sneak up behind an elephant and nearly collided with some Red Lechwe (rare type of antelope)!

Once we'd reached the island we were to camp on we quickly set everything up including the loo (bathroom).  A hole (very deep) was dug and deemed the toiled.  However it was very important that you let everyone know that the loo was being occupied and the sign was simple.  If the shovel was in the upright position then someone was in there, if it was down the it was available.  Heaven forbid it fell over or if someone, being a practical joker, removed it! 

Since it was so hot, a popular activity was swimming in the channel but first it had to be deemed safe and free from crocodiles and hippos which it was.  Surprisingly a strong current rips through there so we were constantly paddling against the current, another great workout.  Of course once we were in, being typical 'us', we resumed to what we do everytime we're in the water.  We start to form the human pyramid and throw each other around.  Great fun but again a challenge against the current.  After swimming it was nap time, oh the hard life of a traveler, and then time for our bushwalk.

The Okavanago Delta is great at supporting wildlife and we were on the 'hunt'.  We began with a quick introduction on what to do if any of the following animals were to charge us: lion, leopard, elephant, and rhino.  Unfortunately as I was trying to remember what to do for each situation, I only ended up confusing myself.  Were you suppose to run as fast as possible (is scatter like crazy and out run your neighbor) or hold perfectly still from a charging rhino...I couldn't remember!!  I decided I'd just do whatever my neighbors were doing.  The beginning had a great start for us as we came across a small pack of elephants.  We made certain to stay downwind of them but that was the beginning and end of our animal encounter.  After that we only came across animal excrement and footprints.  I can now, confidently, tell you not only what animal was present but how long since it had passed and if it was male or female...all by its poop!  Cricky...I'm a regular Steve Irwin!  

We ended the day around the campfire.  We sang songs, played games, and had an amazing interaction with the locals, our mokoro polers.  The next morning we had another 'hunt', packed up the site, and poled our way back to the mainland.  Our adventure of camping in the delta had come to its end but the memories will last forever.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.