Existing Member?

Where In The World

Biking (again!) the Gap of Dunloe

IRELAND | Sunday, 20 May 2007 | Views [9229] | Comments [5]

Ross Castle Ferry Launch KILLARNEY

Ross Castle Ferry Launch KILLARNEY

It was our last day to enjoy the wonders of Killarney and its beautiful National Park.  So far we'd hitched some rides around town (we've improved our thumb technique), toured the Muckross House and Gardens, hiked the 20-odd km around the lake and waterfalls (Amanda loved that day {sarcasm} as I practiced my ventriliquist techniques.  I think it seemed there were 3 people amongst us instead of two, although she may disagree).  Our final day was set.  The sun was shining but we brought our raincoats just in case (see we do learn) and yes we were attempting another bike ride with the hopes that this one won't be as painful as the one in Inishmor.

The plan was to take a'ferry' - a small wooden boat with an outboard engine - with the bikes from Ross Castle through all the lakes and the river to Lord Brandons Cottage.  So far so good, the 90 min ride was well worth the €18 as the scenery was gorgeous and we really got along well with the other boat riders and Captain.  Upon arrival to the cottage Patsy, our captain, says it's, "easy (famous last words) to bike the Gap of Dunloe.  All you do is take the road from the cottage and go over the bridge.  Once you cross the bridge turn left until you come to the church and then turn right.  You will then be en route through the Gap".  With that we were off and ready for our adventure.  We came to the bridge and took a left but after a couple of miles going up and down some hills we were beginning to wonder where the church was, along with our right-hand turn.  In the meantime, a third person was trailing behind us and since we were the only people in what appeared to be no man's land (literally) Amanda quickly befriended him and our twosome was now a threesome (I think she was worried I'd try out my ventriliquist skills again). 

Thank goodness for Dan!  He's our new friend from Massachusetts and our hero because after talking with him we learned that, yet again, we were going in the wrong direction.  Apparently the Gap of Dunloe was behind us!  So we turned around and backtracked our 3-4 miles of uphills and downhills, took the only other option of a 'road' and eventually found the route to the Gap.  By the way, we did find A church but there was NO turn so I'm still a bit confused by Patsy's directions.

Now if you ever have the chance to visit Killarney this excursion is a definate must.  True you have to make your way up a mountain, with switchbacks that are so sinuous and steep that most people walk their bikes, but once you hit the top the view is well worth it!  Not to forget that you get to enjoy the downhill sprint through the 2 mountains, lakes, and scenery so gorgeous it inspires those Irish Spring commercials.

At the end of the day we'd made it back to our hostel (The Sugan- excellent, we love Martin! Also the cheapest place in Killarney to rent bikes) without the troubles from our previous bike ride.  Enjoyed some beers at the local pub with our new hostel friends, including dear Dan, and slept like babies.

**Anja, Dan, Lee, and Albert you were all amazing.  Mealtimes were my favorite at The Sugan and it was great sharing stories with you.   I wish you all well with the rest of your travels.

Tags: Lost!

Comments

1

please

  Chloe May 17, 2008 5:27 AM

2

I'll bike through the gap of Dunloe too. I hope I'll be more lucky than you and find the right way easily! Very good review!

  Laura Maccabiani Jun 3, 2008 1:52 AM

3

Have just got back from touring southern Ireland with my friend maria ,we are proud to say we did the Gap of Dunloe... maria on her BMW650 me on a Ninja 6.The climb up was very challenging and at times i did wonder if i would make it to the top in one piece lol ,but it was worth it.Two very proud women made there way back to Cornwall with their heads held high.

  tess hambly Jun 29, 2009 5:00 AM

4

This is where i'm getting married xxx

  danielle Aug 19, 2009 4:30 AM

5

Ya , there is a fork in the road after the churh, you then take the right turnoff up the steeeep hill! :)

  Marty Nov 20, 2011 10:38 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.