Existing Member?

Where In The World

With the Click of a Tongue

BOTSWANA | Wednesday, 19 September 2007 | Views [13602] | Comments [2]

San Bushmen Elder GHANZI

San Bushmen Elder GHANZI

We'd crossed the border and had entered into Botswana where, after an incredibly long bus ride, we stayed in Ghanzi.  The next morning we woke early and had a Bushman walk with the San Bushmen of the Kalahari.  I'm a huge fan of the films 'The Gods Must Be Crazy I & II' so I was extremely excited about this activity.  Sure enough their attire and demeanor were just like that of the movies.  They almost seemed like children with their small (yet extremely fit) physique and their jovial personas as they were constantly laughing and wearing HUGE grins on their faces.  Normally the Bushmen tribes have little communication with foreigners (a term which refers to anyone who doesn't live in the Kalahari) but due to the discovery of diamonds in the desert these people were forced off the land that hundreds of generations have occupied and now live in dwellings near westernized cities.  Since many of the elders don't speak English and none of us have mastered the click of the tongue we had an interpreter.  From them we learned how they use the land to survive such dry and arid conditions like filling an ostrich egg with water which they bury for months at a time and return to it when needed.  We also learned how they use plants for medicinal value, like birth control.  However, it was heartwrenching to see that their move to a westernized society has had its affects on them with alcohol and cigarettes.  Our interpreter informed us, for 10 years an appeal has been in court to allow the Bushmen to return to the desert but it wasn't until this year that it went through with approval.  With this new approval many of them, mostly elders, will be returning to the desert sands.  Unfortunately their numbers will be fewer than what they were before leaving.  Sadly, the San Bushmen are a dying breed and their customs and traditions will probably go with them but I have hope that they will thrive. 

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

The people go by many names, but do not call themselves Bushmen.
Anyway don't say indigenous people are child like. especially these. they hav the oldest continuous culture in all of Africa, their stories go back before any written history. They are very skillful and intelligent and they know so much.
the government wants diamonds. it would be a disaster
to trade these beautiful people for a bunch of shiny rocks.

  paul siemering Jun 6, 2011 12:56 PM

2

Paul by no means did I mean to insult or offense. However this is what we were informed with our guide and I do not speak the native language thereby had no means at the time to question. Additionally I agree with statement regarding their history, knowledge, and unjust treatment by the government. I will be working further in Africa to assist indigenous peoples thus I would not find myself to be one who lacks empathy. Furthermore, there is no insult with "child-like" as those are the ages of innocence and perhaps if more people realized it is the simple things in life which are precious, not diamonds, then they would too would maintain the pureness of children. We should all strive to more child-like, I think.

  Sharon Jun 8, 2011 1:56 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Botswana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.