Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 161 – 8th September 2016 Thursday – Shopping and AO Show

VIETNAM | Friday, 9 September 2016 | Views [619]

We were down at breakfast next door at 7am. A very basic egg choice with bread roll and a coffee or tea. Considering we are only paying US$25 I think this is acceptable. Kevin of course is complaining about the room, the shower, the air conditioning and climbing 3 flights of stairs. We are soon off to the gold shop to change some money. Kevin has decided to change some A$ to US$ for VOA when returning to VN. We then crossed into the market as Kevin wanted to get some amour singlets and shirts VND150k each. He bought 2 of each and I also bought a couple more bags VND150k each. Kevin decided to head back while I went on to The Cathedral, the Post Office and Opera House. At the Opera House I booked my ticket for the AO Show VND530k. Monika and JA had recommended that I see the show. I then went to Vincom and Parkson Department stores for some more goodies to take home. I just love the knives here in VN. On the way back to the hotel I went to Saigon Square market for a quick look. A quick stop at KFC for their beautiful custard tarts saw me back at the hotel around 1pm. Kevin left to go watch the footy at around 4pm and I went back to the Opera House for the short visit through the opera house that was offered as part of the ticket price. It included a quick tour and then some lovely peach and lemongrass tea. It was so delicious I went back time and again for a refill. Well let me describe the show.
It’s hard to describe exactly what The A O Show is. It’s part cultural show featuring traditional music, dance and acrobatics, but with a ‘new circus’ twist. Think Cirque de Soleil and you’re in the right ballpark. The one-act show lasts about an hour, and through skilled choreography and awesome (in the true sense of the word) acrobatics and circus tricks, tells a story of the urbanisation of Vietnam. It starts with an idyllic rural setting, and works through industrialisation, urbanisation, and the realities of economic development. That all sounds very intellectual, but the story is told through snippets of Vietnamese community life. The show combines modern performance techniques with classical instruments and music, and throws in more than a dash of humour.
Unlike the somewhat opulent surroundings of the Saigon Opera House, the set is bare, and the performance relies on bamboo poles and a variety of woven mats and baskets (which are used traditionally for drying fish and as boats.) The Director of the A O Show, Tuan Le, has worked previously with Cirque du Soleil, and the members of the cast are mostly expat Vietnamese performers, brought together to form this show. Their talents are astounding. Some of the acrobatic feats were performed at great heights, on top of poles or baskets held up by other performers…and not a safety net or harness in sight! I was transfixed. It was a definite highlight of our stay in Saigon. I’d imagine it’s just a matter of time before this show is snapped up for an international festival tour. Photography is not permitted inside the theatre during the performance, but after the show, the cast assemble on stairs in the lobby for audience photos.
Well after an amazing experience I wondered back via the night market and stopped for dinner at an Italian Restaurant where I ordered fettuccine Alfredo and a beer. It was now 8.30pm and I retired to the hotel. Kevin had watched the footy and eaten again at Baba’s Indian where he had a vegetable curry.

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.