Existing Member?

Cambodia and Vietnam 2016 A quick look at Cambodia and then visiting our favourite country, Vietnam for a 5 month stay. Look out Hoian here we come!!!

Day 64 – 3rd June 2016 Friday – Around Hue and back to HoiAn

VIETNAM | Saturday, 4 June 2016 | Views [364]

We had the best nights sleep in a long time and headed to breakfast around 7.15am. It was a nice Buffett and we both had eggs. I really enjoyed the fresh fruit which we haven't had for a long time. After breakfast Tri headed to the Citadel and Imperial City. We had seen this on our previous trip to Hue. Vang went to the market to buy some special fish sauce and other treats for the staff at Betel. Duc and Wing had stayed near the Hotel. Kevin and I headed out to wonder the streets with no purpose. Once we left the Hotel Kevin found he didn't have a hat as they were both in the car. We were then on a mission. Firstly we stopped at a mobile phone repair shop and Kevin got a replacement battery for his iPhone 5. Cost VND 300k or A$19 which is much much cheaper than Aust. He found out later he could have got one at a different shop for VND 175k, but this is always the way in VN. You should not ask the price somewhere else as they will always be cheaper. Recognise a good price and pay it. I left Kevin as I had some shopping I wanted to do. I found some Kipling bags that I could not get in HoiAn and bought 2 at a stall for VND 120k each which I did not even barter as this is a good price. I then started looking in phone / laptop electronics stores at iPhone 6s and while in one store got a call from Vang to say they were at Hotel and ready to leave. I told her I still had more shopping to do and would be back at Hotel in one hour at 11am. I started back and found another shop with bags and bought another one in a different colour. She initially wanted VND 200k but I told her I had already bought and showed her, for VND 120k and she dropped her price straight away. I stopped and bought a baguette to take with us for lunch and Kevin also got one. When I got back Kevin had bought a cap and a new cable and wall charger for his phone and was charging the battery. I showered and packed and we left the Hotel by 11.30am. It was an uneventful trip back as Wing and Vang slept most of the way. We stopped just outside Hue to buy some shrimp cakes that Ms Le at Betel Garden had asked for and then a little further at the Eucalyptus stores to get 2 bottles of the oil for Kevin and I. We arrived back at Betel around 2pm and carried all our goodies home. We unpacked and loaded our dirty clothes for washing. Kevin did the mopping of the floors as dust and dirt had come inside from the building next door it was very stuffy in the house and Kevin retreated to the a/c in the bedroom. We had arranged to meet Janey and Nigel at Minh Vegetarian for dinner before bowls. Dinner was again nice with only a little food consumed as we were still reeling from he large amounts eaten while away. At bowls there were a few new people and Fran who I had met at Safe Swim was also there. I spent some time talking with Sharon Guest who runs HoiAn Now, a website for expats. She and her husband Stuart also do online teaching with Topica and I was asking her about this. She will provide the details to me via Messenger. Vicki and Garry were also here and they are heading back to Adelaide tomorrow for the birth of Vicki’s second grandchild . They plan on staying 2 weeks and are going to bring a set of bowls back from Holdfast Bay that Kevin has arranged. I was talking to Vicki who has just returned from a 4 day trip to Quy Nhon which is a 6 hour train down the coast. Sounds like a nice place to visit. She also said they were thinking of organising a bike trip when they return to the North for several days. I would be interested in this but not sure about Kevin.  

About wendyandkevin

Wendy & Kevin all smiles before their trip

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.